iPhone 5c... what was the point?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrGimper, Sep 26, 2014.

1. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

OK, so now the next wave of iPhones are out, and there clearly isn't a 5c-like replacement, is anyone else wondering exactly what the point of the 5c was?

2. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

iPhone 5c... what was the point?

To offer a pretty good iPhone with colors? Many people like it.

3. jetlagged macrumors 6502

well the iphone 6 is the iphone 5c, and the 6+ is the 5s. one is the inferior product compared to the other. in other words, it was mainly geared to attract people who didn't want to spend too much.

4. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

It was supposed to be a non premium previous gen model. Wrap 5 parts in a new shell with color options and make it more exciting. But it had two strikes of value (old+plastic) and only one strike of savings ($100) so it didn't do well enough to try again. Had it been newer or metal or cheaper, it would have done better.

5. Koziakauzu macrumors member

6 is an inferior product? Compared to...?
    Besides making you feel good about your choice, it is complete nonsense.

6. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I'd hold off that until there's a 6s and 6s plus - stuffing the guts of the current models into a 6c (can't imagine for both sizes, though). I loved the 5c design and feel, would have bought it over an aluminum body 6 if it were a choice.

7. jetlagged macrumors 6502

i own an iphone 5.

8. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Hmm no, not even close. The iPhone 6 is not this years 5c. This is HILARIOUS. The 6 and 6+ are both FLAGSHIP phones. The 5c was not. It was a mid tiered phone from its beginning.

I knew there'd have to be one person make this comparison

9. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

So why no 6c? Brightly coloured plastic with 5s guts?

10. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Well I can assure you that the iPhone 6 is not"inferior " to the 6+. That's like saying the Galaxy S5 is inferior to the Note 4.

The iPhone 6 is the DIRECT replacement to the iPhone 5s

11. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I went to a wedding a fortnight ago and the amount of 5C's there astonishing. Never seen so many.

I'd quite like a green one. Just wish it had a white front panel instead.

12. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

I just think it's a bit bizarre that apple release a phone with all these colours, and in the next wave kill it off.

Bit like stopping colours on the iPod nano and touch after one cycle.

13. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

[​IMG]

Why follow your normal business model of simply making the previous generation $100 less when you can come out with an even cheaper, and uglier, product that increases your already obscene profit margins and pushes many people towards the more expensive, non-****** looking product? :rolleyes:

14. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Well, if you look at the design of the 6/6+, they do more closely resemble the 5c than the 5/5s. Obviously, they used more premium looking materials but they did take the rounded edges from the 5c. So there was some good to come out of the 5c.

15. reverberlayed macrumors regular

I think Apple will include the 6c next year along with the 6s. I know a few people that have the c and really like it. It's a good phone.

16. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

But they didn't kill it off. They're still selling it and it's still serving its original purpose as a lower cost iPhone as an option for those who don't need or want to spend more money for the latest and greatest.

Instead of just dropping the price of the iPhone 5 when the 5s came out, they redid the exterior and rebranded it. Why they chose to do that instead of simply dropping the price of the old model like they did in the past? Who knows. Most likely they wanted to visually differentiate the cheaper "iPhone 5" from the 5s.

Before:
    iPhone 4S > iPhone 5c > iPhone 5s

Now:
    iPhone 5c > iPhone 5s > iPhone 6/Plus

Next year (maybe):
    iPhone 5s > iPhone 6 > iPhone 6s/6s Plus

17. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

I love the 5c – in fact I've just bought a new one – but I'm not sure it would look good scaled up to iPhone 6 size.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 5s were repackaged to resemble the 6/6+ next year as the '6s Classic' or similar, though.

18. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

apple wants your money first and foremost.

1. money. profit margin. cost dropping the 5 and keeping up all the aluminum machining was $$$. dropped it to plastic. profit margin+++

19. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

One of the issues with the 5 was that it didn't support all the 4G bands, and there was a lot of press about this. However the 5c did support all the bands like the 5s did. Could this have been one of the fixes they "hid" in the rebirth of the 5 to the 5c?

20. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

So that the 5 wouldn't be free right now.

And so that the lower end model looked markedly different from the flagship model last year, preventing people from getting a nearly identical looking phone for $100 less.

21. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

I'm in the camp that prefers the 6 Plus, but please, saying that the Plus is the flagship phone and the 6 is a secondary model is laughably ridiculous. Besides from the bigger screen they are specced pretty much identically.