Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillymacuser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
I just upgraded from a 4s to a 5c and more often than I remember my phone is pausing during text messaging. Kinda like an old computer, I type but nothing happens, then the entire sentence appears. I do not remember this happening with my 4s. Any suggestions/thought?

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
I do have that with the iphone 4 but not ever any 5's. It could be due to the flasah memory being almost full...many apps running in the backround...crappy sprint coverage...

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
I would think maybe u have too much running at once, try closing all of the apps in the background then turning it off completely. Then see what happens...my iPod touch 4 "stutters" all the time when typing but my iPhone 5c never has so I'm guessing your just running a lot at once and your 5C is trying to catch up...

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
If the problem does not go away, do a restore. If its still present after that, book an appointment with Apple.

jr866gooner

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
How did you update? OTA or ITunes? Some people say that OTA can on occasion be a little temperamental? If possible do a restore via iTunes.

phillymacuser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
How did you update? OTA or ITunes? Some people say that OTA can on occasion be a little temperamental? If possible do a restore via iTunes.

I update OTA. I did a full restore from the back-up on my computer when I got the phone new a couple of weeks ago.

phillymacuser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
I would think maybe u have too much running at once, try closing all of the apps in the background then turning it off completely. Then see what happens...my iPod touch 4 "stutters" all the time when typing but my iPhone 5c never has so I'm guessing your just running a lot at once and your 5C is trying to catch up...

I will try closing out of apps. I just feel that my usage is similar to iPhone 4s so not sure why its a problem.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
Restore and set up as new.

I will try closing out of apps. I just feel that my usage is similar to iPhone 4s so not sure why its a problem.

APple nErd is right. When you restore your iPhone from a recent back-up, it brings all of the old data to the new iphone; including the corrupt data and other data that you may not want on your new iPhone. This could be a cause of your "stuttering" keyboard. I would restore as new. Just save your old information within the phone so you do not loose it.

iPodJedi

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2013
Apple Store, USA
I just restored my iPod touch 4 last week because of battery issues, 3GB of "Other" data in iTunes (on an 8GB iTouch), and yes, my iPod touch had a stuttering keyboard. Since restoring my iPod touch as NEW, it has greatly improved in battery life, there is almost no Other, and my keyboard no longer stutters. It has been an overall smooth experience on my iPod touch since restoring :) :) :)

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
yeah after you restore and set up as new, make sure all your apps, photos, music etc is backed up to your computer, then sync it all back over. your problem should be solved.

phillymacuser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
I actually tried powering off the phone completely and it seems to have worked the last couple of days! It was a really weird occurrence. I guess I am not sure how to restore without importing all of old data via itunes. I will give it a few more days and see if it holds up.

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
I have a 5c and no issues, it's really fast. Back up your stuff with icloud, restore and set it up as new

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.