iPhone 5S 16GB and Updates? (Concerned for space)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iphonefreak450, Dec 14, 2014.

1. iphonefreak450 macrumors regular

A few days ago I bought myself the iPhone 5S with the 16GB storage option. That is what I can afford at this time...I was on a low budget. And, the iPhone 6 to me felt strange, very thin and slippery...Not really appealing. The 5S looks better to me personally anyways.

Concerning the space, for example, if my available space is only lets say around 12GB or something like that, and there is a major iOS or firmware update, will the update remove older parts of the iOS platform to compensate or to make up for the space?
    Or will all these updates take up space gradually???

I am a person who does not store much data on my phone. Maybe a few PDF documents but that's about it.

Will I be fine with this?

Thx

2. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

In my experience newer versions of iOS do use slightly more space than their predecessors, but its nothing too major. My 16GB 5S is still doing great in regards to space

3. iphonefreak450 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, like I posted in my question, I don't store much data on there anyway.

It was strange, because I was shopping all around looking for a bigger version, and they only had the 16GB in the Space Grey color. I mean literally, they only had the 16GB, but only in that color.

4. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

Strange they only had it in that single configuration :confused:

The only issue you may have with 16GB is doing major over the air updates, but if you have a computer near you you'll be fine

5. dw3bb10 macrumors 6502

Skip the OTA's and update using iTunes. Problem solved.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

If I inderstand the question, the op is concerned with uodates "piling up". Let's say ios 8 is 1gb. Ios 9 is 1.5gb. Does that make 2.5gb of soace used? The answer is no, it doesn't. The OS, once installed, will not take up any MORE space simply because it was uodated over a previous Os version

Apologies if I misunderstood the question.

7. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I had this problem with my 16GB iPad and somebody here gave me some basic advice that worked and something I hadn't thought of. Plug the device into a computer to update rather than do it over WiFi. Also use it as a good opportunity to have a clear out of apps, pictures, videos and music. :)

8. trozhaiha macrumors newbie

The only issue you may have with 16GB is doing major over the air updates

9. iphonefreak450, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014

iphonefreak450 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, let me be clear here.
    That was my question.

For example, I am on iOS 8.1.2 now, and what if iOS 8.2 is installed?
    Will this mean that the 8.2 update or ANY future updates will over-write on top of the previous update to makeup for all the space?
    Will any new updates compensate for space by removing the old update and over-write it with the new updates?

Another quick question since were on the topic of Updates here.

In an event on were I have to reset the phone to its original factory settings by Erasing All Content/Settings, will the phone roll back to the previous or old iOS update?

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Yes. The new update will override the space of the old one. Once you update your device, that is the version it will restore to with a factory reset.

11. iphonefreak450 thread starter macrumors regular

So I should be Ok with space?
    And I do not store much data anyways on my phone.
    So I am Ok?

Thanks for the support.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I just posted this on another thread: Everyone is different, but it is a non-issue for me.

These threads always have two extremes. People who can get away with only 16gb and people who truly need the larger capacity. Only you can answer this question for yourself.

I have a 16gb iphone (12.1 usable space) and still have 8.6gb available with all of the apps I use. Photos I move to the cloud once a week and then delete them from my device and for music I use amazon.

The $200 I save on a smaller capacity iphone/ipad go towards a larger capacity mac.

13. iphonefreak450 thread starter macrumors regular

I have 11.5gb of available free space on mine. And this is after I got it to update to iOS 8.1.2.

I use my USB flash drive for most of my data anyways, so space on the phone is not really critical to me.

When it comes to iPhones or any other phones, I am just a boring guy for them...I only use them for internet and email. That's it. Hardly using any Apps.