Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Updating iOS on iPhone 5s 16GB

• Stay on 7.0.4.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Update to 8.1.1

Votes: 7 70.0%

• Total voters

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
So my girlfriend didn't know about updating her iPhone 5s software and left it on 7.0.4 that it shipped with.

Should we now update it to 8.1.1? I'm seeing reports that the phone will be a tad slower but obviously will gain some features. The thing that is pushing me to iOS 8 is that she will get the security updates missed by staying on 7.0.4.

I've got a 5s 64GB that is staying on 7.1.2.

Luckily I updated her iPad Air to 7.1.2 at some point, and it's also staying on that.

What do you guys think?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
For the vast majority with something as recent as last year's hardware (like 5s or Air) iOS 8.1.1 is perfectly fine. Even for many of those with the previous generation hardware to that (like just a 5) iOS 8.1.1 is just fine too. Ultimately it's up to you as to whether or not you want to upgrade for the various new features/improvements, and of course security fixes.

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
Thanks for the reply.

I guess my girlfriend doesn't do much with her phone, so speed is the most important factor, then security, etc.

You're right though, it's not so critical on a 5s considering they now ship with iOS 8.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Thanks for the reply.

I guess my girlfriend doesn't do much with her phone, so speed is the most important factor, then security, etc.

You're right though, it's not so critical on a 5s considering they now ship with iOS 8.

You won't really notice a difference, only older devices like the 4s get slowed down, the iPhone 5, let alone the much more powerful 5s are just fine with iOS 8.

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
You won't really notice a difference, only older devices like the 4s get slowed down, the iPhone 5, let alone the much more powerful 5s are just fine with iOS 8.

Well I guess it's more the fact there is a slight speed difference, and we don't need/use the additional features at this point in time.

I'm reading in other threads that the iPad Air 1 does have a few glitches on 8.1.1, particularly with UI animations, but the iPhone 5s isn't really an issue.

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
So I restored the phone to iOS 8 in the end, it's been good overall, but the downsides are clearly visible at times. Laggy animations and glitches that weren't there in 7.1.2.

Let's hope Apple sorts them out in the next couple of months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.