iPhone 5s 32 gig vs. iPhone 6 16 or 64 gig

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anniew625, Dec 31, 2014.

1. anniew625, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014

anniew625 macrumors newbie

I am replacing a 2011 IPhone 4s 16 gig (Verizon) and am wondering what I should do. My 4S is shutting off anytime I am taking photos when I have plenty of battery life left, it has done it at 72%, 41%, and 27%, and as soon as I plug it back in it starts working again. I have not upgraded to iOS 8.

I like the physical size of the 5s and I like that it has 32 gigs of storage available. I also really like the price. Since I tend to keep my phones forever I am wondering if it will be a bad investment to buy a year old 5s?

I also think I might like the larger 6 physical size, but I am not sure what storage size I should get, 16 or 64 gig. I have a hard time paying $366 (including tax) for the 64 gig phone, but then I have heard from others that the 16 gig isn't enough space as the operating system takes up close to 8 or 9 gigs of space, but then someone else told me it takes up less than 5 gigs of space. I plan to store mainly music (about a 1000 songs), some photos (although I upload and delete frequently), and some apps (I have 62 on my 4S, but could pair that down if I needed to, esp. the games for kids which I can put only on my iPad).

what would you do or what did you do when replacing your 4S?

2. jahall05 macrumors regular

I would not get a 16GB iPhone 5s or 6/6+. I would get the 32GB 5s or 64GB 6.

You will spend about $100 more for the 6 and $200 more for the 6+ over the 5s.

The 5s is still a pretty good choice if you are okay with what it is offering. The biggest differences are below:

Camera - regular autofocus (not the phase detection in the 6/6+) NOTE: 6+ has optical image stabilization (hardware), 6 has it too but only the software version

Screen - the 6 has a 4.7'' screen, the 6+ has a 5.5'' screen and the 5s has a 4'' screen. All will be of similar quality, but it should be noted the 6+ will be the "best" since it is 1080p

Chipset - The iPhone 5s has the A7 and the 6/6+ has the A8...obvious increases here, speed and performance.

Battery - iPhone 5s and 6 will be very similar in battery life, where the 6+ is supposed to have a much better battery

For your info, I have an iPhone 5s Gold 32GB model. I haven't had any issues with it and honestly it is serving me well. I do want a 6 simply for the larger screen, but only because I watch a lot of videos on it and browse the web a lot on it.

3. anniew625 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I have small hands so really the IPhone 6 is as big as I want to go, and even theN I would probably prefer the smaller 5s. I already have an iPad mini which is fine for watching videos and such, it is much better than watching them on my 4s. I do web browse as well, but I am used to web browsing on the 4s. i really just want a reasonably priced all in one Apple device so that is my main reasoning for leaning towards the 5s.

4. nordique macrumors 6502a

Are you able to visit an apple store or cell store where you can hold the two phones for a while?

It might be helpful if you were able to do so, because you could hold the two models and visualize which one you could see yourself using more

5. Bahroo, Jan 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2015

Bahroo macrumors 68000

Get a 64gb 6, extra storage is always worth it imo, and as always the resale value of the device is higher anyway with a higher storage capacity

With 64gb of memory youll feel like you can put the world in your phone lol (you surely wont be worrying about memory storage for a long time)

64gb is the sweet spot imo and is totally worth it

The 6 also gets 1-2 hours more on average battery life then the 5S which is very welcomed and nice

6. nightstalkerz macrumors 6502

You also get NFC on the iPhone 6/6+ so you might want to consider it if you do want to try out Apple Pay.

7. Whtchdr macrumors member

Considering that the 6 is a complete change unlike the 5 to 5S, it is completely worth the extra you will pay. If you intend to keep the device for quite some time it will serve you much better two years or more down the road than the 5S. If you must go with a 5S, I would recommend picking up a used one as there are LOTS for sale now that many people have picked up a 6/6+. Supply far exceeds demand at this point and prices have dropped dramatically. A 32GB 5S can be had for around $300-350 on EBay.

8. mhdena macrumors 6502

Why didn't you do the $200 trade-in a few months ago?

You still may get $100, making your net $267.

If you can't afford more than 16g, save some more until you can.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would go for the extra storage. Get the 64GB iPhone 6.

10. anniew625 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks all. I ended up going with the 5s 32 gig. The Apple trade in value today for the 4S was $50 so a $300 cell phone was still a little out of budget. My original plan was to keep on waiting until another price drop, but I was getting really tired of my phone dying and needed to replace it. I don't mind being under contract as Verizon has the best service where I live and I don't plan on switching to AT&T or Sprint so I didn't see the need to buy a used phone off of Ebay just so I didn't need to be under contract.

I initially did the Verizon online appraisal form when the 6 came out, and was told my 4S was worth $30. I probably should have followed up on that and I didn't as I also thought I was going to give the phone to my daughter to use as an Itouch and really until recently there wasn't much wrong with my phone at all and I had planned to keep it until I couldn't turn it on.

Overall I am happy with size of the 5S though as I really don't want a larger phone, just a phone that works, has a decent amount of space, better battery life, and is easy to use. We will see how long this phone works and WCS I'll be exchanging it in 20 months when what maybe Iphone 7S or 8 comes out?

11. nordique macrumors 6502a

No worries, you made the right decision for what you needed currently

the 5S is still a fantastic phone. Its more useable with one hand than the 6 is, and although the 6 is more powerful, in everyday use I don't find there to be any discernible difference. Apple did a fantastic job with the A7 processor and it still holds up well with flagship phones from 2014.

Happy to hear you found something that works for you! Enjoy

12. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Not the best choice imo, since you tend to keep the phone for so long.
    The iPhone 6 would have been a better choice.