Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH

Attachments

• Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader iPhone 5S compatibility.png
    Lightning to SD Card Camera Reader iPhone 5S compatibility.png
    115.6 KB · Views: 2,048
Last edited:

syclone

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2003
Syracuse, NY
The Lightning-to-USB is now shoing the 5s and 5c as compitable. Can anyone who may have already had this accessory and just got a 5s/5c confirm that it actually is? Using LTE to upload photos from my SLR on the go would be awesome.

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
Even better. I think that accessory is more useful as I can just hang an SD card or CF card reader off of it (I hope). I too am interested if anyone can test this out. I don't own either yet, but my Phone arrives on Thursday.

PureEntropy

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2013
I can confirm that this accessory does not work with an iPhone 5s. The phone displays an alert saying "the accessory cannot be used with this device".

It also appears that Apple has recently removed the reference to the iPhone 5s and 5c from the product page.

TXCiclista

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2011
I think this has to do with the power requirements for a card reader. SD requires a fairly high amount of power when compared to a phone battery. To transfer, say, 2Gb of photos at USB 2.0 speeds would noticeably impact iPhone battery life (the iPad battery capacity is almost an order of magnitude higher than the iPhone). The last thing you want while transferring photos is for the batteries to die and the phone shut off. Bad things, man. Baaaad things.

quiff

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2011
Not working iphone 5c I picked it up yesterday I have a Canon EOS 5D and it says canon digital is not compatible in the ipad 4g works no problem.

I tried the USB hub trick and still no joy. I've yet to try a card reader but I think the device is set not to work with the iphone. Something in the IOS I would assume.

davidsdiego

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2011
San Diego, CA
I think this has to do with the power requirements for a card reader. SD requires a fairly high amount of power when compared to a phone battery. To transfer, say, 2Gb of photos at USB 2.0 speeds would noticeably impact iPhone battery life (the iPad battery capacity is almost an order of magnitude higher than the iPhone). The last thing you want while transferring photos is for the batteries to die and the phone shut off. Bad things, man. Baaaad things.

I was thinking the same thing. It would be nice to transfer videos from iPhone 5s to an SD card or micro-SD card one day.

I'm currently using the SanDisk Connect Wireless Flash Drive and it has been working quite well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.