iPhone 5S, 5C More Fragile Than iPhone 5, Tests Find

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by AppleScruff1, Sep 22, 2013.

1. AppleScruff1, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2013

AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

I'm a bit surprised at these results. I thought that the 5C would survive the drop test better than the 5. I wonder if the 5C is easier to grip and hold onto than the 5. I have found the 5 to be slippery and easy to slide out of your hand.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/22/iphone-5s-5c-fragile_n_3972322.html?1379870977

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

While they may have "used robots to do the testing to ensure consistency", I wonder how many units they tested? If they only tested one of each, it's not a good sample size to know.

3. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

Hmmmmmmm.......A company that sells insurance against drops tests the phones and says they are more likely to break if dropped. No ulterior motive there.

Attached Files:

4. AppleScruff1 thread starter macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

I'm sure that we'll see other drop tests of these two phones soon. Perhaps Square Trade does the tests to set the insurance rates just as auto insurance companies use crash test data to estimate potential crash repair costs of autos? Just a thought.

5. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

No doubt this is why they do it and I'm not faulting them.

Just pointing out that it's a similar conflict of interest to drug studies being funded by the very pharma companies trying to get said drugs FDA approval.

6. AppleScruff1 thread starter macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

What's the site that does the drop tests for all the new phones? I can't recall off the top of my head but I have seen it posted here in the past.