iPhone 5s & A7 Being the Next iPad 2 & A5?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bonha, Feb 13, 2014.

1. bonha macrumors newbie

So I've had an iPad 2 for 3 years and finally recently sold it. It's impressive for an iOS product that had 3 years of pretty good software support (iOS 5-7). I also had the iPhone 3GS & 4, with iPhone 3GS supported iOS 3-6 pretty darn good, while iPhone 4 only got good iOS 4-6 support (oh iOS 7 on iPhone 4...).

Do you guys think iPhone 5s (and current generation iPads) with A7 chip will be another durable product that can support at least 4 generations of future iOS? If yes, then it must be a pretty good investment, just like 3GS and iPad 2.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I do think that is partly what Cook meant with his "forward facing" line.

It makes sense that the next least common denominator is every iOS device that runs the A7, that gives developers who aren't looking to support legacy devices a nice baseline to project from as they prepare future apps.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It's also possible that the S models, the 3Gs, 4S, and now 5S all bring one extra year of OS support to iOS. Or maybe they get one more year over the non-S models, such as the iPhone 4 will not run iOS 8, but the 4S will get iOS 9. The S models do have a bigger internal upgrade than the non-S models.

4. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

The iPad 2 was released with iOS 4.

The "S" models don't bring extra support.

The non-S iPhone 4 got as many iOS releases as the 3GS.

Some devices just get less releases, due to poor hardware designs (usually low RAM).

iPad 2: iOS 4/5/6/7
    iPhone 4: iOS 4/5/6/7

5. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

I think the iPad air will have a pretty short life, because of its heavy ram limitation. On the other end the iPhone 5, iPad 4 and maybe the iPhone 5s will enjoy a pretty good longevity

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

We don't know that for sure yet. Only one has been dropped. It's possible that the 4S will have a longer life than the 4 due to its different internals.

7. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

Unlikely. It runs decent on iOS 7, i doubt it would run amazing on 8 and that would mean no 9.

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It runs much better on iOS 7 than the iPhone 4 on iOS 6 or the 3Gs on iOS 5.

9. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I don't think the 4s will get ios 9. I think the 5 and 5c will get ios 9 and that'll be the end of those two. The 5s will get ios 10 and that will be it's last. I'm just going off of the past.

iPhone 4 got 4,5,6,7
    4s has gotten 5,6,7 and probably 8
    5 got 6,7 and I'd say 8 and 9
    5c came with 7 and will likely get 8 and 9
    5s came with 7 and I'd say it'll get 8,9, and 10

However it could all change with the 64-bit now so who knows.

I do know the ipad 2 and iPhone 4 and 3GS has had the longest lifes