iPhone 5s aluminium frame

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ventuss, May 24, 2014.

1. ventuss macrumors 6502

Do you know the aluminium frame of the iPhone 5s? Is it strong? I mean, let's say you drop it whilr wearing a case. Is there any chance of one of its corners to bump in a little bit? Even if not perceptive at first?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Aluminum is a soft metal that easily deforms. Based on the number of threads here over the years of people dropping their phones, I'd say it can dent if you drop it.

There's a reason why ottobox cases to protect against drops (and liquids). The thinner the phone the less structural strength. There's a number of threads here about people bending the iPhone 5 after putting it into their back pocket.

3. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

I suggest going over to YouTube and search on "will it blend"

4. ventuss thread starter macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 5s and use the apple Lether fase since I bought it, and now l have the impression that one of the iPhone's corners is very very slightly different than the other three, it's not visible unless you hold it and keep looking very close... It may be just me, but I swear it's there if you look hard enough.. Problem is, since day one I only dropped it once from my bed.

I wonder if I am being too picky or seeing things..

PS: this is the first time I actually analyse my iPhone 5s without its case.

5. HarryWild macrumors 65816

HarryWild

Aluminum is a very soft metal. If it were steel/titanium then you are talking tough!

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Really, the question is, what difference does it make? If it's dented it's dented. If not, it's not. As long as the phone works fine, carry on.

7. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Judging from your comments your phone must be the most important thing in your life. I know it will not be easy but you need to put your case back on and enjoy your phone. If you fear damage from dropping they make case than can really protect them but will make the device thick and ugly.

I know it is hard to believe but one day other things will be more important to you and you will think back and smile about the love you have for your phone.

Try to relax and enjoy.

8. alice04 macrumors regular

alice04

That's why I prefer to use Silicone cases, first it's cheaper and it really protects your phone when you drop it.

9. hamiltonDSi macrumors 68000

hamiltonDSi

Just enjoy the phone.
    I'm caseless since the original iPhone (2007). Had all the models except the 4s.

The only one that I shattered was the 5s about a week after I got it but AppleCare took care of that and I got a refurbished unit for 50 euros.

Funny thing, I dropped all my iPhones on concrete several times each and they did not shattered ; the 5s was dropped on wooden floor when I was pulling it out from my pocket. I was sitting down on a chair. It landed on it's face and you can see the result in the pic down below. :)

Attached Files:

10. Jalopybox macrumors 6502a

Jalopybox

It's made with non-tempered 6061 aluminum. It's soft and will bend if dropped or sat on. Use a good case.

11. HRPufnstuf macrumors member

What purpose would that serve?

----------

Or don't drop it or sit on it.