iPhone 5s and 5c do not support LTE on Sprint's 2.5 GHz spectrum

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 1251division, Sep 29, 2013.

1. 1251division macrumors member

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story...do-not-support-lte-25-ghz-spectrum/2013-09-11

This sucks. I was in the Sprint store this weekend, asked about 4G service for the new iPhone, and the gentlemen told me they were rolling out their newly acquired LTE in my area in the coming months, and that it would work with my new iPhone 5s's. I found a spot where I received Sprint's LTE signal, and could not get any internet connection, although the iPhone indicated it was connected to the LTE band. (I then turned off "enable LTE" in settings, and was able to again browse using 3G.) Got home and did a little research, and found the above disappointing article.

I also found this recent previous MR article: http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/10...tt-and-verizon-in-one-model-add-china-mobile/ Here it is mentioned that:
    If it is true that new models will be coming out for Sprint users, would current early-adopters be able to get a replacement at no-cost? I'm feeling pwnd.

I have Sprint, because ironically enough, both AT&T and Verizon do not have a strong enough signal inside my house...

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

eyoungren we need you and your knowledge of sprint here stat! :D

As for early adopters getting free replacements at no cost : not a chance in hell I'd imagine.

3. eyoungren, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You're confusing things a bit.

Sprint operates on the 1900PCS frequency. That's for 3G and LTE. My iPhone 5 is on LTE right now and I'm pulling down anywhere from 5-11mbps in my area (Phoenix, AZ). Your 5s is functioning on that frequency already which means once they get going on NV (Network Vision) in your area your LTE signal will get stronger and stronger (and more useable).

I'm on Sprint, by the way, 14 years.

You are correct that the 5s does not support what you mention. But that frequency was just made possible for Sprint because of the Softbank merger. This was LONG after the 5s was designed and sent to manufacturing.

Right now, there is maybe a handful of Sprint phones that support that frequency. Those are triband phones, but the 5s is not one of them. 800mhz is also rolling out and your iPhone CAN use that. So your iPhone 5s will be able to use LTE on 800 and 1900 PCS. When the 6 comes out next year, it will probably be triband.

Depending on your area LTE may be in the early stages. They've been working on LTE for PHX since December of last year and I only just got it in my home on Friday. That's one year after I got my iPhone 5. I've been suffering on 3G and WiFi for the last year.

The fact that you bought your 5s and HAVE a signal at all, weak as it is means Sprint is upgrading your area. Be patient, use WiFi where you can and shortly you'll be able to get and use LTE signal.

P.S. Don't worry too much about the 2.5Ghz frequency. That, like I mentioned, Sprint just got because of the Softbank purchase of Sprint. 2.5Ghz is the frequency that Clearwire was operating 4G WiMax in. Now that Sprint owns Clearwire outright it's repurposing those towers. There's no way in heck that Apple could have gotten support in to the 5s and 5c because at the time they started producing those phones Sprint did not own Clearwire outright.

Also note that since 2.5 is a higher frequency it has less penetration into buildings. That was one of the major complaints customers had to Sprint about WiMax. 1900PCS (which your 5s already uses) will penetrate more.

----------

LOL! I was two minutes behind you! :D

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The article that you linked was posted before the 5s release. The Sprint model is available now, and you're using it (I can say that with confidence because Sprint won't activate the other US model).

5. user-name-here macrumors 65816

See? This is why You Da' Man :)

Sprint should seriously hire you as a company representative with as much knowledge as you have about the company and how good you are at explaining it to others. Thanks again for another good dose of info.

Don't be so slow next time though! ;) jk

6. cnotes2019 Suspended

iPhone 5s and 5c do not support LTE on Sprint's 2.5 GHz spectrum

The separate model for sprint already came out along side the model for tmobile/AT&T/Verizon #

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL! I'll try and be faster. ;)

8. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

I don't have Sprint but this was a good post so you get a +1.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Thanks!

Gotta be honest and say though that most of what I lay out here is stuff I've either learned first hand or picked up over at s4gru.com. Sprint could certainly do a much better job itself at customer relations!

10. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Yes if there's ever a post about Sprint he is the man with knowledge for sure. Btw today my LTE on Sprint got 24 Mbps down and 11 Mbps up ... It's getting better...

Here's one

Attached Files:

11. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I have to agree, but you and I both know that probably won't happen... I've been with them 9 years and haven't seen it lol

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

:eek: thanks! :D

Tthomas612, that's awesome. I pulled down 11mbps earlier today. It IS getting better!

----------

LOL! Too true!

They had me on hold once in 2002 for 2.5 hours. I was at work at the time and it became a matter of "You WILL answer my call" so I had it on speakerphone will I worked.

13. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

Yeah I have to say I'm very excited about it. Now when people with AT&T and Verizon talk about there LTE I can too ... Lol... There's might be faster but ours isn't finished lol

----------

Lol it's not surprising at all. I know people ask me why I've stayed ... Now for me it's just common practice... Same number same provider. . . Lots of broken promises but this time I think they are on the up and up

14. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Here's a screens I took a little while ago. I'm in NJ and my area has been slowly getting better and it hasn't been officially launched here yet.

Attached Files:

15. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

That's still good speeds. I do think it'll get better

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Nice! It's great to finally see it happening!

17. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Like you we've been with Sprint for right about 14 years too. It's been difficult to be patient and not jump ship but I know that my patience will more than likely pay off in the long run.

I'm just happy to see my area getting better albeit slowly. I'm lucky in that I have access to Cablevision's wifi network which has very extensive coverage in my area. Honest to God it's almost as extensive as any of the carriers 4G/LTE. As long as I'm outdoors there's very few areas that I don't grab their wifi signal. It has made waiting a lot more bearable.

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I am generally in one of three places, all of which have WiFi. For the rest, I'm not doing much that requires superfast LTE speeds (although LTE does make it faster and now will allow me to stream music normally without stalling out).

So, waiting for LTE was much less painful than for others. We also have an Airave at home (which I am returning) so that has helped too. And we've been fortunate that 1xRTT has been good enough that voice has never dropped calls or caused SMS/MMS problems. So, all the way around it hasn't impacted us as negatively as it has others.

That said, I detest the fact that I'm paying Sprint to use home WiFi that I already pay someone else for! So, now that LTE is here, I can finally start really using what I'm paying Sprint for.

19. 1251division thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the clarification. So I shouldn't be concerned that I wasn't able to even browse while the phone was showing it was connected to the LTE signal (I think it was 2 bars)? I just want to make sure it's the network and not the phone.

Thanks again!

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's the network, not your phone. But if you want peace of mind take your iPhone to an Apple store and have Apple check it out. Apple will do that for free even if you bought it somewhere else. Before they do anything they need your authorization so if there IS something wrong you can decide at that point based on your situation what you need to do.

But, being a new phone the chances are that it's just Sprint's network. I had LTE in Walmart on Thursday and every app that I tried to use that required an internet connection kept quitting out on me because they couldn't get any data. A day later and I was pulling down 10mbps.

So, no worries. It just will take time. What you need to decide is just how much time YOU are willing to give Sprint to deliver useable LTE to yourself, the customer.

If you want to keep tabs on Sprint and your market, take a look at s4gru.com. They break it all down there and if you become a sponsor you will have access to maps, permits, tower locations and detailed work progress. Stuff, Sprint itself does not give out. Note that you do not have to register or be a sponsor at all to take advantage of s4gru.com's publicly available info.

21. c0LdFire macrumors regular

I really don't understand this mentality that a lot of Sprint customers have. How in the hell will it 'pay off' to suffer with a crappy network for over a decade? I, for one, will use Verizon until such time that they aren't the best in my area. If Sprint somehow becomes better, I'll switch to them. We are consumers. Being loyal isn't going to 'pay off' for you. What will your loyalty mean when I casually switch to Sprint if they become better, and pay the same damned price that you've been paying all along while being unable to use your phone for years and years?

22. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

What he means is that his wait…our wait for LTE pays off in the sense that now we have it with unlimited UNTHROTTLED data.

Note that the wait for LTE has varied per person. I had 3G phones only until last year and no real issues with coverage or speed. It's only been the past year for me. So to assume that I have been paying for bad service for 14 years is inaccurate. I also use voice far more than I use data and Sprint has and always has had good voice quality and very few dropped calls.

So from our perspective it has paid off.

23. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

It has zero to do with loyalty and everything to do with price. LTE is generally speaking fairly new technology. We haven't needed faster speeds until what, that past two to three years or so? Prior to buying my first smartphone, the EVO 4G, Sprint worked perfectly for us. The EVO had WIMAX 4g which in my area worked quite well.

I bought the 4S 2 years ago and the 5 last year giving my wife the 4S. So when I say "waiting patiently" I'm really just talking about 2 years (We were under contract anyway). Prior to the 5 I had no need for LTE speeds as I didn't have an LTE phone.

Now I'm locked into 1 last year but I'm seeing great speeds and service is slowly being expanded. The bottom line is that I'm almost always able to do whatever I want to do with my phone. Whether it's listening to music or surfing the web.

The one thing I don't want to lose is unlimited data. With service getting better and better it'll become more important.

----------

And what he said :)

24. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

While I'm not sprint fan in their current form (Had them through the Nextel merger) they are in a excellent spot if they could get their resources together and organized better. They have a ton of spectrum and now have the capital from softbank to make it happen. They just need to move quick to keep themselves from more bad PR and Sprint=Crap mindset.

25. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Before last year I didn't really care how Sprint was doing as long as I had service. Once I got my iPhone and there wasn't LTE i started poking around.

Sprint has all the elements now. It just remains to be seen if the business can overcome a culture that lies, makes excuses and avoids personal responsibility and make those elements work.

Masayoshi Son has recently said the turnaround could take up to two years. One analyst adjusted his predictions of customer loss for Sprint to 1.2 million customers next year. Sprint no longer has Nextel to hide it's customer churn behind anymore so we'll see.

Personally, I think Son just bought his own Nextel. But either way, as a customer I win. Because honestly, Sprint's at the bottom. Network improvements, I win. Merger with another company, I win. Sprint beating my expectations and doing great, I win.