iPhone 5S Apple Care question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by meeks, Nov 26, 2014.

1. meeks macrumors regular

I bought an iPhone 5S off craigslist a few months back. I dropped the phone today and cracked the screen. The phone has Apple Care for another 2 years on it but it's registered to the guy on craigslist. Will I have any problem taking it to Apple paying the $49 or whatever the claim is and getting a new one? I don't have his number anymore to contact him and before making the drive to the store would like some assurance if possible. Thanks :apple:

2. rigormortis macrumors 68000

rigormortis

i heard apple care was transferable.

just show up with the phone and bring all your receipts and any printouts
    i wouldn't worry about it too much. just go there and see what they say

3. rapicell macrumors regular

The apple care is tied to the phone, not the person. The phone itself is probably registered to the pervious owner, but that's just so apple can pull up information quickly when talking to someone.

Personally, I've never had problems with apple care on second-hand products

4. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

The phone can't have Applecare for another two years, as Applecare for iPhones is only for a TOTAL of two years. If you're really not sure how old the phone is you may be in for a surprise as far as still having Applecare is concerned. You should check the phone's serial number on the Applecare registration site.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The iPhone 5s was released in September of 2013. It has AppleCare for at least 10 more months, even if it was purchased on launch day.

6. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Oh yes, point well taken.