iPhone 5s' auto-rotate broken since iOS 8

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by snaky69, Sep 30, 2014.

1. snaky69 macrumors 603

Posting this for my girlfriend.

Ever since we updated her to iOS 8, her phone began intermittently refusing to auto rotate in all apps. Something was definitely wrong with the accelerometer as games that use the accelerometer would not respond at all to tilting the phone.

She just got a brand spanking new iPhone 5s at the Apple Store today, all was well for a couple of hours then the problem came back exactly the same way. Again, this phone is BRAND NEW.

I'm starting to think iOS 8 is the culprit here. Has anyone experienced the issue and if so, were you able to solve it?

2. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I have the rotate issue as well :/ so many bugs with this update >.<

3. shan916 macrumors member

Did you update her to iOS 8 or the iPhone? :D:p

It's an iOS 8 bug that I believe affects all devices. My 6 Plus has the same issue. I updated it to iOS 8.1 Beta and the problem appears to be gone. Gonna have to wait until Apple fixes it.

4. snaky69 thread starter macrumors 603

A hard reboot seems to have resolved the issue (for now).

5. DeathChill macrumors 68000

I find this issue happens when switching apps. It won't rotate if you try and go one way, but if you go the opposite way it fixes it and you're free to rotate any way. I don't know what the deal is, but it's irritating.

6. instinctive macrumors newbie

This also happens to me all the time on the latest iOS version (8.1.2) on an iPhone 5s. Apps simply will be stuck in the last used orientation, especially when using the app switcher. Only rotating the device wildly seems to fix the problem. Another interesting thing: When turning on orientation lock, the app will suddenly rotate to the correct orientation, then immediately rotate back to the wrong one.

I find this highly disturbing. This is totally fundamental OS functionality and has been broken for like 3 or 4 releases since iOS 8. This is telling about the appearent demise of quality and user focus at Apple.

Before adding a huge number of incomplete features, please ensure that the OS works at the most basic level first!

7. KeepCalmPeople, Jan 18, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2015

KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

6+ on 8.1.2 here. Auto-rotate still really lags. By far my biggest gripe with iOS8 at this point.

8. nordique macrumors 6502a

Not just the 5S, I had issues with this on my 6