iPhone 5S awesome battery life

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by vansouza, Oct 1, 2014.

1. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

The iOS8 update has given me an awesome side effect. My phone used to die on me before noon, that after a night of charging to 100%. But now I can make it to about 2PM with that 100% still showing in the upper right hand corner... makes me so happy .... any one else see a quantum leap in battery improvement?

2. Solver macrumors 6502a

Yep, but it was on an iPod Touch 5. On a full charge. runs up to four days instead of two now.

3. Beelzbub macrumors regular

This will sound weird, but I swear after updating to iOS8 and then downgrading back to iOS7, my battery life has greatly improved. It was good before, but now I can go almost 3 days without having to charge my phone.

Attached Files:

4. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

The only thing I've noticed is a big reduction in the power drain while on standby. Yesterday afternoon, I removed my phone from the charger and then found the power indicator still showing 100% six hours later.

I've suspected that this is due to wi-fi calling, but I can't confirm this until I use the phone at home or at work without the wi-fi calling active.

5. Lourayad macrumors newbie

Lourayad

That's great man..how much 3g/4g browsing you did?

6. Beelzbub macrumors regular

I would say average. I am mostly on WiFi (home and at work), but I do a lot on LTE/4G, using mobile hotspot, texting, phone calls, and maps.

I have always got pretty good battery life with my 5S, its used mostly for work. When iOS 8 came out I did upgrade but I had some issues with it so I went back to iOS 7 about a day or two later, restored my backup from right before my iOS 8 upgrade and everything runs good again, but one thing I really noticed was the battery life, being able to go longer between charges.

I have been tempted to upgrade to iOS 8.0.2 but there really isnt anything wrong with iOS 7 running on my devices, they work fine just the way they are and I know if I upgrade now, there is no turning back to 7.

7. XeroAllusion macrumors member

Please tell me what settings your phone has. My iPhone 5 has EVERYTHING off, backgrounds refresh for only 3 apps, location services off, brightness low, Bluetooth off, airplane mode on, and push email off. I could barely squeeze out 5 hours of usage today. I would love that kind of battery life.

8. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

Same with my 5. Under iOS 7, my battery life degraded pretty badly, but under iOS 8, it seems to be nearly as good as it was when the phone was new.

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

iPhone 5

With iOS 8.1, my battery life has been good. I have been getting 6+ hours of mixed usage with 21 - 24 hrs standby. Would be better, but low signal quality takes its toll.

10. scjr macrumors 68000

scjr

8.02. 5s. 7 hours 2 minutes last recharge, with 3% left.

That was with mixed usage. Texting, Fb, Fb messenger, phone, web browsing, words with friends, half the time in very low signal area as well. I never put it into Airplane mode.

11. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I've definitely noticed a battery increase on my iPad 4th gen. I sold my iPhone 5 to upgrade to the 6 so I'm not sure about that.

And I just upgraded the iOS on my iPad and didn't do a clean install from scratch. I understand that often nuking the iOS can help as well.

12. oplix macrumors 65816

oplix

You know what's even better? iphone 6 battery life :)

13. zosokm macrumors regular

iOS 8 on iphone 5

I have also had a largely positive experience on iOS 8 on my iphone 5. Previously I used to run out of charge by the 8 hours on 2G/GPRS with intermittent 3g. (My 3g signal is very spotty at my work place and drained the battery fast.). On ios8 , apple has removed the 2G -3G toggle button so my phone is always on 3G and I am easily able to run the phone till the end of the day (10 hours). This is even more than what apple advised . When I looked through the battery usage stats - the major cause of drain is still poor signal which accounts for 33%. I am quite impressed as in general iOS updates have always reduced cell usage in the past. Now if only apple would bring back the 2G-3G toggle , I could improve my battery life even more

14. BigMike1 macrumors newbie

My battery life with my iPhone 5 has gotten noticeably worse. I actually lost 70% in an hour the other day. Really bad.

15. imagineadam macrumors 6502a

Here's on my 5 ios8.0.2 this is LTE only right here.

It's much worse can only pull out 5 or 6 on wifi alone. Probably 3.5- 4 on LTE alone. And this is a new battery.

Attached Files:

16. fortheus macrumors regular

My battery also went bad with iOS 8. I barely got 6.5 hours while i can get 7.5-9 hours with iOS 7