iPhone 5s battery drain, All Suggested Tips Won't Fix It

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JaydonD, Aug 24, 2014.

1. JaydonD macrumors newbie

Hi. I have updated my iPhone to iOS 7.1.2 and ever since, I've been experiencing an extreme battery drain. I tried all the tips from different forums and nothing seems to fix it. I have restored many times using iTunes, then turning off Bluetooth, LTE (or Cellular Data), email push, BAR, etc. I have also cleared everything on my iCloud, it is basically empty without the backup. I get a 1% drain for every minutes on Sleep Mode (even on Airplane Mode).

Any suggestions on how to fix this? I am worried this would cause a damage to the battery.

2. JaydonD thread starter macrumors newbie

By the way, I have it checked at a Genius Bar and they found no hardware problem. They said it's probably caused by software, and suggested me to restore via iTunes. Didn't work still (did every tip found on different forums, too).

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Have you restored and set the iPhone as a New Device.

4. JaydonD thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes. I've done that --- still having battery drain problem.

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I recently read about a new battery app on idownloadblog that tells you what's using what.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/08/19/normal-review/

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Did you try doing that without even then signing in into your iCloud account or putting on any other backup or anything like that. Just basically completely new and empty (aside from default apps/services)? Just to see how it behaves in that form for a little while.

7. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

How, exactly, are you restoring the phone? And then what are you doing immediately after the restore?

Cause it sounds to me like you're doing something wrong. If the battery is fine, and you actually restored it AND set it up as a new phone (without restoring from ANY backup of any kind) then you shouldn't be having this issue.

The majority of battery problems are caused by people playing some video game on their phone, like Candy Crush, and not realizing that a video game will use a lot of energy. Another common cause is very poor cellular reception, having only 1 or 2 bars (or even 3) causes the phone to use 2x or 3x more power just to stay connected to the cell tower.

I would get on a different computer, restore it to the full factory settings, then DONT restore from a backup and set it up as a new phone, and then go 48 hours without installing any apps on it. If it still is dying in less than 2 hours then you know its definitely an issue with the battery. But if the genius bar said the battery is fine it seems highly unlikely.

8. JaydonD, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014

JaydonD thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. But I don't have any apps installed after I restored the phone. All services turned off and iCloud logged out, battery drain continues.

----------

I plug it in a computer to restore it via iTunes. Set it up as a new phone then I'll stop every services (iCloud, mail...) I never installed any app when this issue surfaced. Had my battery checked at a Genius bar and they found no problem.

9. JaydonD thread starter macrumors newbie

Does this look good?

Attached Files:

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

Assuming you aren't in some sort of poor signal area, given all that, it sounds like there might be some other issue that is likely on the hardware side that is in play then.

11. JaydonD, Aug 26, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2014

JaydonD thread starter macrumors newbie

I had it checked using the diagnostic test link and the Apple CSR said there aren't any hardware problems. I also never get the fully charged sign even on 100% battery. It's always this flash sign beside the battery icon. Is it a bug?

Attached Files:

12. mytopazjr macrumors newbie

When you do this, does it make a difference with your battery?

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

The charging lightning bolt symbol by the battery in the status bar is always the same when the phone is plugged in, it doesn't change when the phone is charging or fully charged as of iOS 7.

14. JaydonD thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope. I still get the battery drain.

15. woodynorman macrumors 6502

Take it to another Apple store or use a different genius. If you truly are draining that fast, they will see it. It's not normal, and should be cause for repair/replacement.