iPhone 5S, battery draining fast.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thiagos, Feb 21, 2014.

1. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

Just wanted to give people a heads up if you are having problems with your iPhone 5S' battery life.
    I had my phone for 3 weeks. My battery would drain from 100% to 85% in a hour being on standby.
    I contacted Apple and they asked me to do a factory restore without backing up my info.
    I did everything they asked me for, even turned off my push notifications with little results.
    They said that there was nothing wrong with my phone and for me to wait for the next update.

WRONG! I insisted until they replaced my 5S. Well I'm happy to say that my battery is now going from 100% to 98% in an hour on standby.

My 5S was brand new and it was draining fast. Apple seems to disregard the fact that there was something wrong with that battery. After following all their demands, I was still having problems so why make my life difficult?
    If you are having problems with your battery and your phone is new; request them to give you a replacement even if their diagnostics say otherwise.

2. MarcoCapa macrumors regular

I have the same problem.... Only that I have already exchanged my brand new 5s (15 days old) for a refurbished and little signed one wich have the same problem.... Poor battery life..... According to anadtech and other you could reach the 10 hours of web browsing, but I could only dream this :):)
    I'm waiting for iOS 7.1 hoping that they can resolve the problem via software since the battery is good.... Clearly there is a problem in apple manufacturing.... It is not possible that some people can reach 10-11 hours of use and others like me and you only 5....

3. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

Did you turn off refresh background apps, and clear your apps/pages when you're done using them? There's a lot of things that could cause the battery drain.

I've had my 5S for a week and my battery lasts about two days before I have to charge.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

My iPhone 5s lasts 2 days on moderate use, and a full day when I travel (use Maps for navigation + use of many apps).

I find that Google apps drain battery very quickly even in the background, so I force quit them if I don't use it. Apple Maps uses much less battery.

But if your 5s battery life isn't very long, I would look into quitting all apps to see if any is draining the battery. After than I would request for an exchange if you think something is defective.

5. MarcoCapa macrumors regular

Oh yes
    Ma settings are all background app off all spotlight search off all service location off ( only for Siri maps, weather) autobrightness and I always set down by swiping the control center, always deactivate wifi or Bluetooth when not in use ( I barely use Bluetooth in this day watching for a change, but nothing change in battery life) always on wifi at home, only app upgrade in background. Push notification only for mail (1 account ) and whatsapp
    Also on vibration mode
    I always close apps when not in use....
    I have also deinstalled Facebook since the call center girl of apple said me to make a restore from another computer ( because of so many crash of safari: I suppose that diagnostic could contribute to battery degradation, but I have already deactivated it ahahhaha)
    So I don't know how to make a 10 hours usage or 2 days of stand by ( I could reach 22-23 hours if I use normally the phone)
    I make a very little calls during daytime ( today for example anyone)
    Thank you

6. thiagos thread starter macrumors 6502

thiagos

I had done a factory restore, no backups. Hadn't installed any apps and the battery was draining fast. The new phone I got I have everything installed and the battery is going down slowly.

Brightness etc I had it all on factory settings as well as the same location etc etc.

I read an article which I can't find anymore about some iPhone 5S being shipped with bad batteries...

7. Prabas macrumors 6502a

Prabas

It's not only 5S, they've replaced my one year old iPhone 5, because it wouldn't last a single day. Battery wasn't the problem though, there was something with charging.