iPhone 5s battery problem and poor customer care [SOLVED!!!]

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sindinha, Aug 3, 2014.

1. sindinha, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014

sindinha macrumors newbie

Hey guys!

I visited the Florida Mall Apple store on August 3th. My iphone, early this year presented a problem with the battery, It started to discharge really fast and charges takes so long.

I spoke with Ian Brooker that day, around 7 pm in the store. He simply diagnosed my iPhone and said that I was using "too much" functions and left without letting me say anything.

Anyway, my iPhone is in warranty (I bought in NY last November) and the battery's awful! If I take another iPhone and compare the problem is evident.

Anyone have an idea how to I proceed now?

-----------------------------
    EDIT
    MY PROBLEM WAS SOLVED

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Talk to a different Genius..and if they react the same way, ask to see the manager. You have to stick up for yourself. Sounds like you caught the guy on a bad day. They should run diagnostics, and if it shows an issue, they'll absolutely do something, likely replace the phone. Just go in, be polite, assert yourself, and carefully explain the situation at hand. Sounds like you gave up too easy last time!

3. sindinha thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Tyler.

But what can I do? He simple told me that "I was using too much"...

Also, I'm from Brazil and I dont have support on my country with this device in spefic (the models are different).

----------

I forgot to mention a few things:

- I need to charge the phone time to time the entire day

- I often use in the airplane mode so can I save battery (and this are not shown on the diagnostics they ran)

4. NodheadSoftware macrumors newbie

NodheadSoftware

You could try to isolate the issue so we know if the problem is related to apps or the device itself.
    If you can live without your device for one or two days I would recommend the following:
    1. Make a backup.
    2. Make sure you made the backup.
    3. Restore the device and set it up a new phone. (Requires SIM card)

Don't install anything don't add any account or login.
    Just let it be and observe the battery.

When it keeps draining the battery while you have it in stock configuration something is wrong with your device.

Didn't they change the warranty policy so that you can get service for an iPhone unrelated to the purchase country?

5. Cpthaddock macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problem. It drained over night from a near full battery to total shut down, while I was sleeping. That's when it really started going bad. Booked in with a Genius at the Apple Store in Yorkdale (Toronto) who said I should turn off all cell data refresh so that was done. A bunch of other settings were changed as well and I've kept it that way. There was an improvement for a few days and then it started to go bad again. So I went in again, this time to the Apple Store at Eaton Center (Toronto). Who checked my usage the past 24 hrs and said it was normal. Really? I don't think so.

I'm booking back in with the Yorkdale store right now. My work means I'm on call and my phone MUST work.

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It sounds like you use your phone heavily for calls, which uses a lot of battery. Might be a good idea to charge it overnight, and to have a car charger/portable charger with you.

7. Cpthaddock, Aug 15, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2014

Cpthaddock macrumors newbie

"On call" doesn't mean I am on the phone. It means I receive a text from my boss (occassionally a call) to go to a location (I'm in film and TV and work for a temp agent) to hook up with a location manager/transport department and get my orders. I report in my hours to my boss through text. I am spending LESS time on my phone these days and it is draining faster and faster. It is also changing by day. One day I can go out, take photos, video, play games, send/receive texts, facebook/twitter/instagram and it lasts me from getting up in the morning to going to bed. Other times, it drains out while doing absolutely nothing at all.

I'm now at the stage where I never leave my home without a charger AND a battery booster because I will be needing to charge it sometime during the day, no matter what.

8. Cpthaddock macrumors newbie

Third apple tech actually looks at the crash report and does a double take. There is a process in ios that is listed as having crashed. This process has to do with the ios actually registering that apps are closed down. If this crash, apps appear to be closed but the ios thinks they are all still running and this drains the battery. He is surprised that the tech the day before didn't check this and mumbled something about giving the guy a call. A hard restore from placing the phone in recovery mode and I am a happy camper. A very happy camper.

So if you have a battery issue, have apple check diagnostics and in particular the crash report and look for the process called "aggregated".

9. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Restore the device from scratch, this is what you should have been asked to do to see if it resolved the issue.

10. sindinha thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay guys, thanks y'all for the help, I manage to swap my iphone...

It was a question of WHO will attend you. Different from the other employee in Orlando, a guy named Joel at the Aventura Mall Apple Store (Miami) really tried to help me.

I explained all the problem and he did the usual diagnosis, same as the other guy, he said it was everything ok. However, he saw the battery was really low at that moment and asked me to use until the battery dies. After that he left my iphone charging in a public spot and went to other customer.

He verified the battery life was REALLY poor, when reached to 20%, I was told to use the phone again and back within 10 minutes. I did it and dropped to 9%...

Finally he saw my problem was real and swapped to a brand new device...

So, my hint is: if you have a poor battery life, just go to the store with the battery really low and hope u get a nice fella to attend u :cool:

11. Cpthaddock macrumors newbie

Agreed. Just make a complete backup first. Not just a sync, a back up. Just in case. If you have a mac laptop, import your images through image capture, while you're at it.

Then, put your phone in recovery mode (hold down on/off AND home button at the same time UNTIL the phone goes in to recovery mode.

Connect your phone to the computer. Itunes will ask you if you want to set the phone up as a new phone or from a back up.

YOU WANT NEW PHONE!

Ones that is done, load your apps.

This is what I am currently doing.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting.
    I'm having the same problem with my i5.
    They don't replace the battery? They swap out the whole phone for ya?
    Does it vary by Apple store location? I know my local Apple store does repairs like replaces screens, speakers and other hardware repairs.

13. sindinha thread starter macrumors newbie

Honestly I dunno about Apple procedures about repair. I have been told that if they see ur phone has a problem, and is on warranty, they'll replace for a new one immediately. Of course they ran some diagonistics to see details about ur usage, software and other stuff.

About the stores, check this link: https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Find a store near you that have the Genius Bar, make a reservation to go there and explain what's going on...

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
    I wouldn't mind a complete replacement but even a new battery would be great since I have to charge it like 3 times a day now to make it through the day.
    And I got 1 month left under Applecare so I must hurry.

15. sindinha thread starter macrumors newbie

I forgot to mention, but I did backups before my travel to Miami, and Joel did another one at the store, just to make sure...

I think it works simple as that: if you get lucky to be attended to a good employee and your iphone definitely has a problem and it's on warranty.

Just in case.... Make a good statement about your device problems, really... You need to be assertive when making a complain about it, otherwise they'll simple ran the diag. and put the fault on you with some blah blah blah... If you guys want it I can upload the report about my case, the first with the bad guy and with the good guy hahaha

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nice, thank you.
    Post it up for us when you get a chance bro.

17. sindinha thread starter macrumors newbie

Your case looks like mine... I don't know where u live but, I called to Apple support here in Brazil, and the advanced support guy inserted some info about my case in the apple network, so the guy in US could see everything...

I really dont know if that helped but, anyway... Worth the try

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thank you for your help.
    I live in the US and the Apple store is only about 10 minutes away.
    I will give it a try this week.