Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djshack

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
Boston, MA
Recently I've thought my battery seems to be dying much quicker than it used to, and my iPhone 5S is nearly a year old. Seems about right. I chatted with Apple online, they received diagnostic info, and told me the battery is fine.

Then, I downloaded the iBackupBot app to get the real numbers, and it says my battery has 283 cycles, original capacity of 1550, and current capacity of 1500. Does that seem right, or even possible? I'd expect a much lower current capacity after 283 cycles, so I'm wondering if the numbers Apple got are even correct.

I don't want to go to the Genius Bar unless I know my battery is worn/defective, so I'm trying to get more insight. Does it seem like my phone is reporting incorrect info on the battery?

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
Yes, it is possible and it's right. There is nothing wrong with your battery...after 280 cycles, you couldn't wish for more.

Con1750

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2015
Iphone battery was never really that great the 6 and 6 plus have vast battery improvements.

tinapanpan

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2014
Compare your usage to the tech specs:

Talk time: Up to 8 hours on 3G
Standby time: Up to 200 hours
Internet use: Up to 6 hours on 3G, up to 9 hours on Wi-Fi
Video playback: Up to 10 hours
Audio playback: Up to 40 hours

Are you not getting these numbers? Note that they say "up to". That's because there are variables beyond Apple's control. Just like MPG in a car. The best example is power usage for talking and cellular data. With a strong signal (5 dots) your phone will only use 50 mw, and should get these times. However, with a weak signal (1 dot) it needs 10 times as much power (500 mw) to maintain a connection. Clearly this will drain the battery much faster. The greatest battery drain occurs when you don't have a cellular network connection and the phone says "Searching...". The phone must search at full power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.