iPhone 5s boot up lag

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by AmazingTechGeek, Mar 6, 2015.

1. AmazingTechGeek macrumors 6502

AmazingTechGeek

Does anyone have an issue when turning on their 5s? After putting in the passcode, the apps flow in kinda buggy...

Also, is this fixed in 8.2?

2. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

Buggy? Do you mean stuttery or laggy (slowly)?

3. I7guy macrumors G5

I haven't seen this. The apps are basically there in a blink of the eye after putting in my passcode.

Could have an app that is behaving erratically. Might want to look at usage, reset the phone, or wipe and start from scratch to narrow down the issue.

4. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

OP, don't do this. It will fix nothing. This is a well known iOS 8 bug that exists on every device. This person probably has reduce motion turned on so the animation doesn't show, so the stutter isn't seen. Or this person didn't fully turn the phone off. Or they simply don't notice the stutter, and in that case, good for them. Being unable to see stuttering would be a godsend when using iOS nowadays. Anyway, the animation is smooth if you awake the phone from sleep mode long after it has been restarted, but if you fully turn the phone off and boot it back up, unlocking from there (only the first unlock after booting up) will cause stutter.

It exists on my iPhone 6, and my iPad mini 2. Although it's a much more severe lag on the mini 2. I don't think there's much you can do here other than toughing it out until Apple decides to fix it.

5. I7guy macrumors G5

True about reduce motion; incorrect about the stutter after I turned it back on. It's not "well known" bug as you put it, because not everybody on every platform experiences it. Doesn't happen on 5s or 6.

And if your going to claim I can't see it; I'm going to claim you are seeing things that aren't there. :) now I'm going back to reduce motion.

6. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Okay, have fun haha. I have to admit I was being a little demeaning before, and I want to apologize. I personally have seen this jump on the first time unlock after boot up on like every iOS 8 device I've watched that got rebooted. Not sure where the gap is here, why some people experience it and others don't lol. Pretty strange. :confused:

I can say for sure though that if you are using reduce motion, the stutter will not be there at all. If you have reduce motion disabled though, so all the animations are there (the apps zoom onto the screen when unlocking rather than just fading into place) the apps have a big jump right in the middle of the animation when you unlock. Only after booting up though. Every other time you unlock it will be smooth. Maybe it only exists on some devices and I've just been unlucky, I dunno. But what I see is definitely there haha.

7. I7guy macrumors G5

No problem:) maybe I don't know what to look for as its there and I'm not registering it. Honestly I have animations turned off on my windows desktop also. I'm a no frills UI type of guy.

As with everything Apple it's always a mystery as to why things seem to be different across the same device models.

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like the phone is doing more whe you unlock it be first time and that's where some delay comes in in that initial load of the home screen. If you notice you can't ise TouchID and you aren't even connected to WiFi after rebooting as I recall, and all of those things start loading and working right when you unlock the phone for the first time after it boots, so more happening at that time then at other times basically.

9. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I can't see any stutter on my iPhone 6, I don't have reduced motion on and I fully turn the phone off basically every day.
    On your logic I could see you are seeing things.....

----------

Maybe it is influenced by the number of apps installed. Or the number of apps displayed on the page and so on.

----------

Because of the personal settings, mostly.