iPhone 5S camera, poor imagequality?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oRBIT2002, Nov 3, 2013.

1. oRBIT2002 macrumors member

I have been taking quite a few shots with my 5S camera but I am not really satisfied with the quality I get. I've compared some photos from my 4S and I think they look better.
    A 100% zoomed 5S-photo often looks like an oilpainting. I've checked photos both from outdoors and indoors.
    Is it just me? :)

2. that be me macrumors 6502

3. oRBIT2002, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

oRBIT2002 thread starter macrumors member

4. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

Post a sample of 100% crop from a 4S photo so we can compare.

5. DGPMaluco macrumors regular

If that is an iPhone photo, then you seriously have a defective unit

6. sumsingwong, Nov 3, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2013

sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

iPhone 5S camera, poor imagequality?

That's 100% crop so quality will not be as good as the full res image.

7. gCloud macrumors 6502a

For me the photos from the 5s camera are by far better than 4s.

8. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

The 5s camera is no DSLR, but it's the best phone camera I have ever used. I found (subjectively) that burst photos seem to be a bit if lesser quality than normal ones, but I may be wrong.

9. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Yeah I can also vouch by saying burst photos are a bit noiser it seems. I may try and do a more scientific comparison at some point because I really prefer to just take a few burst shots of "every" photo I take just to be able to pick the best one of the bunch.

Also, the 5S' front facing camera is a lot better than the 4S (and 5 - to a degree) but the rear camera is...quiestionably better. The iPhone 5 has better contrast in some pictures....also the 5S favors warm colors more compared to the 5.

10. oRBIT2002 thread starter macrumors member

It's a 100% crop from an image, the quality is as poor as it looks.

The burst-photos looks they've been going through some really heavy noise-reduction.

11. gentlefury macrumors 68030

No 4s image to compare to. But my 5s looks nothing like that.

12. gadget123 macrumors 68000

When you zoom Iphone photos it leaves a lot to be desired for and still has the camera phone look.

Wish iphone cameras could really match digital cameras.

13. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Look up optical zoom and digital zoom and you will find your answers.

14. oRBIT2002 thread starter macrumors member

The image I provided is not a result of any kind of zoom. It's just a crop of my photo in it's original size (=100%).

15. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

If that photo is completely unedited, uncropped, no zoom, simple photo with you i5S....then you have a defective unit.

16. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

I believe like digital zooming.. when you crop, the picture quality suffers as well. I would like to see side by side comparison of your 4S and 5S photos with the exact same ratio and cropping.
    Sorry if you already pointed it out.

17. oRBIT2002 thread starter macrumors member

I tried a little bit more today, both burst and normal mode, but couldn't recreate the problem I had with the previously mentioned image (and some others). Wonder if there's only certain conditions that triggers this "behaviour"..

And yes, the sample I provided is 100% untouched, just cropped (and no, cropping doesn't affect quality) and saved as lossless PNG.

18. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

i had crappy photos once. turns out there was a protective piece of plastic over my lens. If it's not that, your camera is probably defective.

Considering they shot a multi-million dollar fashion show with 5S cameras, i'm pretty sure the camera holds up to pro-standards.

19. Ries macrumors 68000

Cropping does not degrade the picture. Cropping means cutting out a part of the picture and saving it 1:1. You can take the cropped part and overlay it on the original and it would match 100% (if you saved the cropped part lossless).

20. topherg macrumors regular

21. AFDoc macrumors 68030

You want digital camera quality photos buy a digital camera OR try and convert your camera into a phone some how.

You get a few images with issues so you make a thread such as this? No, you didn't jump the gun at all. Maybe it was the subject matter that has the issue.... does the child look blurry in real life?

To me the part you posted appears to have some type of filter applied. As far as conditions that may cause issues of course there are but with out perspective we have no clue what those might be.