iPhone 5S camera v 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndrewR23, Aug 11, 2015.

1. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

what's the deal here. Why is my dads 5S camera better then my 6? Look at the lights on the field. First picture 5S. Second is my 6.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pelea macrumors 6502

3. lagwagon, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015

lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

That's just more or less lens flare. Maybe a finger smudge was on the sapphire crystal on the 6 to flare the lights like that. Or because they are two different angles as well can change how the light can flare on the lens. But overall the 6 image is better than the 5s image you've provided. (Huge difference in the players and everything else in the image.)

4. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Here are some photos I just took. This is unacceptable. Before taking these photos I wiped the camera down with cloth. Took off the case too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. lagwagon, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015

lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

Possible moisture between the sapphire crystal and lens? Your second image is brutal and would suggest that with how foggy it looks.

I just tested my iPhone 6 and not getting any crazy flare. So it's definitely not an iPhone 6 issue at all and more just an isolated to your specific phone.

I would take it into an Apple Store and have it replaced because that for sure isn't normal.

Attached Files:

6. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Idk, this phone is 2 days old. Was just replaced at Apple. Set an appt up Friday.

7. Merkie macrumors 68020

I once had this issue with my 4. Went to the Apple Store, they cleaned the lens (was easy to remove the back cover with the 4), perfect afterwards.

8. Broadus macrumors 6502a

I think this is the thing to do. It should, hopefully, be an easy cure.

9. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

I remade an appt today at 12:50...ill update how it goes

10. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

They replaced the camera and it still does it. Was at the store for over two hours. None of the display models did it. Will be going back Friday.

11. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

12. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

It doesn't suck compared to the 5 and 5s. It's actually better. What sucks is the amount of noise reduction is getting defaulted.

The reason (the main complaint in the thread you linked) backgrounds are looking "terrible" on the 6 vs 5 is because the 6 has a larger aperture lens than the 5. That means shallower depth of field (dof). That means smaller plain of "in focus". So with the 6's shallower depth of field and heavy noise reduction applied, gives the illusion of "worse".

Non of this has anything really to do with the way out of normal lens flaring going on with the OP's phone.