iPhone 5s Car Dock Search

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by WSFrazier, Oct 24, 2013.

1. WSFrazier macrumors regular

I am looking for something pretty specific, and not sure if it even exists.

I want a car dock for the 5s that has built in lightning for the charging and has line out (like the Apple dock) to go to my car aux. Also has direct/hard wired charging (I can wire it myself, want to save my cig lighter for other things).

I was about to get the ProClip Direct Wire/Power setup, but didn't want to need to run a separate cable from the headphone port to my cars aux input.

Was looking for an all in one, so I can just put my phone on the car dock and be on my way.

I've been tempted to rig up an Apple or Belkin dock in the car myself, but would rather not if something exists.

2. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

What your asking is not that specific, lots of us do just that. There are proclip solutions available for this. In fact it was only proclip that allowed me to do it well.

The thing you have to remember about the lighting port is that it does not provide an analogue line out, you need an adaptor for audio. So buy apple lightning adaptor (the cabled one) and the version of the proclip that the adaptor plugs into the bottom off. Then connect a cable to the adaptor that splits into audio and charge (this can be hidden away).

3. WSFrazier thread starter macrumors regular

I just noticed that ProClip made a dock that uses that adapter, so I will probably go that route.

If the Lightning only outputs digital audio, how does the Apple dock have a line out? Do they put a DAC right into the dock?

----------

Actually another question then...

Do you happen to know where I can find a 30pin to "Aux and hardwire power"? I found a bunch of 30pin to USB/Aux, but I would rather just hardwire into my car and save myself the cig lighter.

4. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

This question does come up often. The apple dock and apple lightning adaptors contain docks.

There are options to hardwire, I have seen them on eBay. But you could wire up a new lighter socket and have it hidden. I have done that in one car.

5. WSFrazier thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, will try that, or just suck it up and use my cig lighter.

Are the ProClip setups considered good and worth the money, or are they just overpriced?

I don't mind spending more for something good, but it seems like there are just so many car docks to choose from.

6. takeshi74, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

You don't need to. Get the ProClip mount, Lightning to 30 pin adapter and a 30 pin solution that provides power and line out.

PAC Audio IS75 is what I used most recently but it's not the only option out there. The usual suspects for iPod/iPhone car audio integration are the ones to check with. I think one our other vehicles is using iSimple's equivalent.

Good, worth and overpriced are all highly subjective regardless of topic. We can't tell you if they're good, worth it or overpriced for you. That's for you to determine. They're definitely worth it to me and I have them in all my vehicles. Some do find them overpriced. YMMV as with any other subjective matter.

They're not the cheapest option but they securely hold our devices and securely mount to the vehicle. They're very convenient as the devices are just dropped in and have hardwired power and sound (and control on one vehicle).

I don't care for ProClip's vehicle mounts and prefer to use a Panavise bracket if available. ProClip tends to rely on friction and double-sided tape where Panavise's brackets actually bolt to the vehicle. ProClip's device mounts and Panavise's brackets both have standard bolt hole patterns so they work with each other.

That's another option. Our third vehicle uses the old wired Griffin Autopilot powered by a hidden power outlet.

Using an Add-a-Circuit makes hardwiring power a bit easier in most cases.

7. theautopilot, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

That should read DAC's not docks, typo sorry.

I have owned 4 proclips (often referred to as Brodit outside of the US, which is the firm that makes them). I have not met anyone who has not been very pleased. People who criticise them tent to have never used them or don't understand how the system works. Yes, they are expensive but there is nothing as good on the market. The build quality and easy of use is unparalleled IMO. Don't get sucked it to the gimmicky and/or products that get pimped around here (often by the seller/manufacturer).

8. WSFrazier thread starter macrumors regular

Just ordered the ProClip setup that uses the lightning to 30 pin adapter.

Do things like this usually work fine if I combine it with the apple adapter?:

http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Audio-3...8&qid=1382707540&sr=8-4&keywords=30pin+to+aux

9. theautopilot macrumors 6502a

theautopilot

10. GTATL macrumors newbie

I'd recommend a Spec.Dock. It works with an iPhone 5/5s and is basically an Apple dock for your car. I've got one and it is integrated into my car interior. They've got different docks to fit individual cars, so go to their site to see if they have one that will fit your car.

http://specdock.com/