iPhone 5S could be Apple's big mistake

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wilky76, Sep 11, 2014.

1. wilky76 macrumors regular

wilky76

After seeing both 6 & 6P im now 99% sure I'm going to stick with my 5S for another year.

Apple this year have decided to keep the 5S on the market in both 16GB & 32GB, alot of people are still gonna buy the 5S this year and into next year, because it now cheaper, smaller & and isn't that much slower than the 6, even the camera on the 6 isn't that much of an upgrade over the current 5S.

Alot of people hate large screen smartphones for one reason or another, and those people aren't the geeks or the Apple diehards but the general public that will want an iPhone will looks at both offering of the 6 and think no to big & looks like a Samsung and opt for the 5S instead.

If anything biggest mistake Apple could have made this year is keeping the 5S on the market, because I personally think it will take a large chunk out of sales of the iPhone 6 once the frenzy at launch is over with.

2. ajumbaje macrumors 6502

ajumbaje

They have always kept the last gen phone on the market for at least another year. Standard operating procedure.

3. Raftysworld macrumors 6502

.... He says, trying to make himself feel better as phone jealousy overcomes him.

4. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

They have to keep producing the phone definitely until Apple Care expires for those who bought it, right? Or else there will be no replacements and parts.

Good jesus, they kept the iPod classic around for YEARS after the switch to flash memory in iPods, and including the music app on phones. It had more storage but didn't kill new iPod sales.

Apple knows what they're doing and rakes in Billions of dollars a year. They can afford a "Big Mistake" or two.;)

5. jkim3691 macrumors 6502a

I agree with him. I'm flirting with the idea of sticking with the 4" screen in the 5s even though I have a 5 and have an eligible upgrade. I have no desire for a 5.5" screen so that's out of the question. The 4.7" phone is not all that impressive. I know however that I'll develop new phone envy and want it eventually anyways. I'm such a sucker for new form factors.

6. psylence2k macrumors 6502

It's not gonna be that big of a deal, if people value the size above anything else, they'll just get a 5S/5C otherwise they'll go with the 6. The 6 is still gonna sell like crazy and break records. Either way Apple is gonna be tallying up sales. It's a win/win.

7. ctbaz macrumors member

And a 4" one is?

8. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

So many people want the 6 Plus though, so yeah...

9. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

no one knows what the general public will do, and neither do you.

10. duaneu macrumors 6502a

No, the iPhone 5 was discontinued after one year.

11. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

That's why Apple ordered a record number of devices this year, yeah ok you're right :rolleyes:

12. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

I tend to agree.
    Lots of people still want that 4" size.
    Super pocketable and portable.

Many of us still value something that's small AND feature packed.

13. duaneu macrumors 6502a

Not with iPhone 5. 5C took its place in the lineup.

14. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Can somebody in the 3.5/4" camp please actually quote a reliable source that shows that a significant portion of smartphone buyers want a 4" or smaller screen? Perhaps the results of some market research, rather than anecdotal evidence?

Do you think Apple hasn't done their market research?

15. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

Keeping the 32GB might be, but keeping the 16 is standard procedure. With the 32GB at £499, those that want a little more than 16GB might not want to go as far as £619 for the 64GB 6, as they will never use half of the capacity.

16. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

with all these macrumors post by its users, they know more than apple does.

:apple:

17. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

They still produced the 5 well beyond the year for international sales.