iPhone 5s dissasembly

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ijon01, Mar 5, 2014.

1. ijon01 macrumors member

Hi, has anyone disassembled an iphone 5s? I know there are disassembly tutorials on the internet but what I want to know is specific and I'm finding it difficult to find an answer.

Basically what I want to know is where does the camera lens fix to? is it attached to the rear of the top rear glass insert with adhesive or does it just rest in place internally and the insert fits over it?

I don't mean the actual camera module I mean the plastic lens that sits in front of it

2. ijon01 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks but no, already looked at this, it shows the lens cover but it isn't removed as part of the disassembly so I don't know if it's attached to the metal chassis or stuck to the rear of the top glass insert.

3. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I did not get as far as removing the lens cover, but I believe it is probably a piece adhered to the glass inlay, just like in the iPhone 4/4s. Here is a pic of an iphone 5 I had replaced the Sleep button. The camera module is removed, and it looks like the lens cover assembly rests on the inlay, but it is secured (adhered?). I did not attempt to remove this.

Attached Files:

4. ijon01 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply, I had a feeling it would be, so will it be a like double sided tape or some kind of hard resin glue. I believe the 4s was a resin glue

5. Charadis, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014

Charadis macrumors 6502a

No problem. I believe the latter as the 4 was resin glue as well; I had to use an Xacto knife to pop off the one on my mom's phone to put in the replacement, and it is on there pretty good.

Edit: so I actually found a better pic that I had taken after removing the sleep/volume/vibrate flex cable removed, and you can clearly see the lens cover piece. There are a couple of alignment pins, but other than that, it seems to be secured by none other than adhesive (resin?). Hope that helps. Sent from my iPhone.

Attached Files: