Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simonidk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2015
So my friend just gave me his old iPhone 5s, that he dropped in some beer, and didn't notice for over a hour at a festival. The screen is busted, but the touch still works. I tried connecting it to iTunes, and got all the photos out. Then i downloaded Apowersoft Phone Manager and saw that it still worked, except for that at times the bottom bar on the homescreen turned purple for a second at times, is that an error or what? So I just wanna know if its worth trying to replace the screen, as the beer most likely came in where the screen flex cable is, since the only other thing i can find thats broken than the screen, is the earpiece. The pictures show the purple bottom bar, and the other what the screen looks like while booting up. At times it has more light
gfhdhr.png
WP_20150830_10_45_05_Pro.jpg

Danieluh

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2015
Beer is some of the worst liquid you can get into your phone. I recommend to open the phone, or find someone to open it, take out the motherboard, and clean it with electrical cleaner or isopropanol. It is easy to see if the metal inside is attacked by corrosion. If theres just a little it is hope.

If you not clean it, the phone WILL give up it's life sooner og later.

Example of plug attacked by corrosion: https://ifixsmartphone.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/waterdam2.jpg

Reactions: Jstuts5797
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.