iPhone 5S "dying" early

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by applesoundgear, Nov 22, 2015.

1. applesoundgear macrumors member

For several months now, my iPhone randomly dies when it has a sizeable amount of battery left. Today for example, it died with 24%. I couldn't turn it back on because it said it needed to be charged. Ten minutes later it allowed me to turn it on. It then said it had 21% and shut off instantly. Two hours later (without charging it) I managed to turn it on again. 11%. Used it on a metro ride until it hit 5% and it shut off.

Other times it's died with ~15% and I've never been able to turn it back on until charging. Sometimes it happens around 5%, but one time it happened with ~35%. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I honestly can't remember if this was happening before I updated to iOS 9. I recently enrolled in the beta program and am running Beta 3 of iOS 9.2 (I think that's the version). I do know for sure that this was an issue long before I signed up for that.

2. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Take it to Apple Store have them run diagnostics on it ask if battery should be replaced.

3. chscag macrumors 68000

I agree. It sounds like your battery may need replacing. If your 5s is out of warranty, Apple will replace the battery for $70.

4. mivara macrumors regular

mivara

My 5S did the exact same thing. Try your local Apple Shop. I lived with it for a while on my 5S but I had to charge it whenever I was around a computer and carried an external battery wherever I went (almost). That really sucks. My local Apple Shop couldn't help me since I'd had my screen replaced in an unofficial shop (bye bye warrant) and I didn't want them to examine it and end up charging me just for that.