iPhone 5S False rapid battery drain?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Release, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Release macrumors member

Release

I've been having an odd battery issue lately. I can be using the phone and suddenly the battery will go from say 80%, down to something like 40% in just a matter of minutes. Now here's the weird part... if I plug it into a charger it reads MUCH higher the second I plug it in. 2 weeks ago it had drained while taking pictures, enough to give me the "needs charge" icon. I plugged it in and it immediately said it was at 67%. I unplugged it and went back out without any problems. After that, the battery drained as normal. I have no idea why it would say the battery was close to dead and then come back to 67% after just plugging it in and then work again normally.

I've only noticed this when using the camera (Hipstamatic in particular). Its happened with the latest version of iOS 8 and now again with 9. I usually keep all apps I'm not using closed out and I restart it on a regular basis.

Its hard to diagnose since its totally random. Some days I'll use it all day and it'll be perfect and other days it'll drain in a matter of minutes. Its only happened a few times but its enough to have me worried.

I can't figure this one out. Bad battery maybe? Something else? I have no idea.

2. chscag macrumors 68000

It could be a bad battery. Make a genius appointment and let Apple check it with their diagnostic software. If the battery checks bad or marginal, Apple will replace it for $70.00. I do not recommend replacing it yourself unless you've done it before.