iPhone 5s fan noise?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TmanATL, Nov 24, 2013.

1. TmanATL macrumors member

Just upgraded to iPhone 5s yesterday after 2 years of using an iPhone 4S.

One thing is bothering me -- when I open up games, it sounds like a fan turns on and is noisy. It's some sort of whirring noise that sounds like a fan to me. Who even knew that iPhones had fans? I don't recall ever noticing this in my 4S and yet I noticed it on my first day with my 5s.

I noticed it while playing Dead Trigger in bed at night with the audio off. The fan noise goes off a few seconds after closing the app. It does this when I open Candy Crush as well.

Is this normal or is my unit defective? I do have a Mophie juicer case on it if that might make any difference?

2. Will2145 macrumors 6502

Will2145

3. TmanATL thread starter macrumors member

It's not a super loud noise admittedly, but it's still there. When I hold the screen up to my ear I hear it very clearly (with the app like Dead Trigger open). Then when I close it, a few seconds later the fan noise or whatever it is stops.

i only noticed it last night because I was lying in bed....with no other sounds to distract me. In a typical noisy environment with me holding it a distance away from myself I probably wouldn't notice it.

So....no on else has this? Is there even a fan inside of it?

4. zmon macrumors member

There has never been a fan inside of the iPhone ever (nor any phone that I can think of). It's def not normal, could be the screen buzzing, or the speaker buzzing. I'd take it back and get a new one.

5. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

No Apple phone or tablet has ever had a fan.

Could be your case maybe.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Sure is not a game sound effect? Or the vibrate is being tickled a little for same.

Honestly u kids find the weirdest stuff. :D

7. TmanATL thread starter macrumors member

It's not a game sound - iphone ringer turned off and volume at zero.
    I also took it out of the case and could still hear it.

Hmm..... with the apple stores being as crowded and loud as they are I'm not sure you could hear this in an apple store!

8. JacinTatt macrumors member

You might have a loose or faulty wire inside the device. It's definitely not normal and part of the circuitry might be damaged. Definitely take it into an Apple Store. If you think it's too loud in the store, let the employee know and they will probably find a quiet area to listen to it.

9. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

If you can make this sound happen on demand, take it to the Apple store and get it replaced.