iPhone 5s fingerprint sensor

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
just got my iPhone 5S yesterday and started setting it up.

When it comes to Touch ID - it seems its easier to unlock the device with the passcode and the sensor works.. maybe 3 / 10 times?

Anyone else seeing this?

How do I improve its accuracy when setting up my prints?

mjschabow

macrumors 68030
Dec 25, 2013
Not me. It works great. Like the poster above me said, try redoing the setup. I had I redo a finger.

Allanb1985

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2013
There are 5 slots so 2 thumbs and 2 index fingers shouldn't be a problem. Granted when i first got my 5s the touch id was a bit temperamental but it quickly sorted itself out and learned my prints. Make sure you follow the instructions and fully maximise your print. Try not to fall in to the trap of using the tips of your fingers and make full use of your fingerprint.

DrTwoFish

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
Make sure you have iOS 7.1 installed. I had the exact same problem with 7.0, to the point where I'd nearly given up using it, but the update completely fixed it for me - I'm at probably 95% accuracy now, and the other 5% is usually my error.

Old Yeller

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2013
Indiana
I found it helps if you add a fingerprint shortly after a shower while the skin is hydrated and then the same fingerprint but with very dry hands.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
you might be one of the few it doesn't work well with, try adding your finger a couple times and in different settings, dry and more hydrated like after washing your hands.

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
The hydrating aside, I have tried all suggestions here. Its almost completely pointless having a sensor that works maybe, 10% of the time. It's frustrating.

I'll try the hydrating thing.

Thanks gents.

Crzyrio

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
The hydrating aside, I have tried all suggestions here. Its almost completely pointless having a sensor that works maybe, 10% of the time. It's frustrating.

I'll try the hydrating thing.

Thanks gents.
It all comes down to how you input your finger. My sister had the same problem while it works 95% of the time for me. I find it soo much easier than using the passcode :D

When you are registering your finger DO NOT hold it perfectly on the centre. Instead hold the phone like you regularly would and register your finger placing it on the sensor like you would regularly place your finger on the home button. So for your right thumb you will be registering it by placing it at a slight angle.

After making my sister did that she noticed a huge difference in successes.

dannyyankou

macrumors G3
Mar 2, 2012
Scarsdale, NY
To be honest, I first had problems with it because I had a habit of biting my fingers. But I stopped over time, and it's worked very well ever since.

Cole Slaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
The fingerprint sensor on my 5S works very well for me after the 7.1 update.
Before that it was crap.
As others have said, make sure you take the update before you decide if using the fingerprint sensor is for you or not.

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2011
I think I am using it wrong.

When unlocking the device, from sleep - the process is press the home button / power button, then put your finger on the home button for it to read, right?

I've been pushing the home button once, expecting it to wake up + read + unlock almost instantly... asking too much? lol

If I wake it up, then put my finger on to read, sure its 85% accurate. :D

OOOPPPPPSS......

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

When unlocking the device, from sleep - the process is press the home button / power button, then put your finger on the home button for it to read, right?

I've been pushing the home button once, expecting it to wake up + read + unlock almost instantly... asking too much? lol

OOOPPPPPSS......
The best way to use it is to press the home button with your thumb, then release the home button ("unclick"), but keep your thumb resting on the button. Should unlock pretty quickly that way.

christarp

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2013

OOOPPPPPSS......
I wake mine up with the home button and just leave my finger there for an extra split second and it usually takes me to my home screen. 7.1 drastically improves touch ID. Mine worked about 80% of the time before 7.1, but now it works almost every single time unless I have just come out of the shower or seriously messed up my fingers at work doing manual labor.