iPhone 5s fingerprint sensor

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Tander, Apr 2, 2014.

  1. Tander macrumors 6502a

    Tander

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2011
    Location:
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    #1
    just got my iPhone 5S yesterday and started setting it up.

    When it comes to Touch ID - it seems its easier to unlock the device with the passcode and the sensor works.. maybe 3 / 10 times?

    Anyone else seeing this?

    How do I improve its accuracy when setting up my prints?
     
  2. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 27, 2010
  3. mjschabow macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2013
    #3
    Not me. It works great. Like the poster above me said, try redoing the setup. I had I redo a finger.
     
  4. Tander thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Tander

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2011
    Location:
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    #4
    The problem is I use my left and right thumb and left and right index finger to unlock the phone. Maybe this is why its an issue?
     
  5. Allanb1985 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2013
    #5
    There are 5 slots so 2 thumbs and 2 index fingers shouldn't be a problem. Granted when i first got my 5s the touch id was a bit temperamental but it quickly sorted itself out and learned my prints. Make sure you follow the instructions and fully maximise your print. Try not to fall in to the trap of using the tips of your fingers and make full use of your fingerprint.
     
  6. DrTwoFish macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2008
    #6
    Make sure you have iOS 7.1 installed. I had the exact same problem with 7.0, to the point where I'd nearly given up using it, but the update completely fixed it for me - I'm at probably 95% accuracy now, and the other 5% is usually my error.
     
  7. Old Yeller macrumors newbie

    Old Yeller

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2013
    Location:
    Indiana
    #7
    I found it helps if you add a fingerprint shortly after a shower while the skin is hydrated and then the same fingerprint but with very dry hands.
     
  8. carjakester macrumors 68020

    carjakester

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    Location:
    Midwest
    #8
    you might be one of the few it doesn't work well with, try adding your finger a couple times and in different settings, dry and more hydrated like after washing your hands.
     
  9. Tander thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Tander

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2011
    Location:
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    #9
    The hydrating aside, I have tried all suggestions here. Its almost completely pointless having a sensor that works maybe, 10% of the time. It's frustrating.

    I'll try the hydrating thing.

    Thanks gents.
     
  10. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2010
    #10
    It all comes down to how you input your finger. My sister had the same problem while it works 95% of the time for me. I find it soo much easier than using the passcode :D

    When you are registering your finger DO NOT hold it perfectly on the centre. Instead hold the phone like you regularly would and register your finger placing it on the sensor like you would regularly place your finger on the home button. So for your right thumb you will be registering it by placing it at a slight angle.

    After making my sister did that she noticed a huge difference in successes.
     
  11. dannyyankou macrumors 603

    dannyyankou

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2012
    #11
    To be honest, I first had problems with it because I had a habit of biting my fingers. But I stopped over time, and it's worked very well ever since.
     
  12. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

    Cole Slaw

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2006
    Location:
    Canada
    #12
    The fingerprint sensor on my 5S works very well for me after the 7.1 update.
    Before that it was crap.
    As others have said, make sure you take the update before you decide if using the fingerprint sensor is for you or not.
     
  13. sviato macrumors 68020

    sviato

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2010
    Location:
    HR 9038 A
    #13
    Mine worked fine and with the 7.1 update it's near flawless.
     
  14. Tander thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Tander

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2011
    Location:
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    #14
    I think I am using it wrong.

    When unlocking the device, from sleep - the process is press the home button / power button, then put your finger on the home button for it to read, right?

    I've been pushing the home button once, expecting it to wake up + read + unlock almost instantly... asking too much? lol

    If I wake it up, then put my finger on to read, sure its 85% accurate. :D

    OOOPPPPPSS......
     
  15. Tyler23 macrumors 603

    Tyler23

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2010
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    #15
    The best way to use it is to press the home button with your thumb, then release the home button ("unclick"), but keep your thumb resting on the button. Should unlock pretty quickly that way.
     
  16. Tander thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Tander

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2011
    Location:
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    #16
    And so you're right - that's even better. Working very well... :d :D
     
  17. christarp macrumors 6502

    christarp

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2013
    #17
    I wake mine up with the home button and just leave my finger there for an extra split second and it usually takes me to my home screen. 7.1 drastically improves touch ID. Mine worked about 80% of the time before 7.1, but now it works almost every single time unless I have just come out of the shower or seriously messed up my fingers at work doing manual labor.
     
  18. tognettiza macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2014
    #18
    I'm at probably 95% accuracy now, and the other 5% is usually my error.
     
  19. Tander thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Tander

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2011
    Location:
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    #19
    Right so after learning the trick to it and keeping the finger on - so far I have had 99% accuracy. Now that's impressive. :D
     

Share This Page