Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Budge912

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2015
I have an iPhone 5s and haven't been updating it recently to the latest iOS because it says that I don't have enough room. I also haven't backed the phone up for a while as my iCloud is full.

Today my phone prompted me to update to the latest iOS 9 update and said it would temporarily remove 15 of my apps to create space for the update. After validating the phone then restarted and when it came back on it had a black screen with an iTunes logo and a plug in image. I've tried to connect it to my iTunes but it says this iPhone cannot be updated and will only let me restore the phone to factory settings which obviously I don't want to do because it means I will lose a lot of my latest photos and documents.

Anyone have any ideas as I'm now desperate to get my phone working again?

Many thanks.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I have an iPhone 5s and haven't been updating it recently to the latest iOS because it says that I don't have enough room. I also haven't backed the phone up for a while as my iCloud is full.

Today my phone prompted me to update to the latest iOS 9 update and said it would temporarily remove 15 of my apps to create space for the update. After validating the phone then restarted and when it came back on it had a black screen with an iTunes logo and a plug in image. I've tried to connect it to my iTunes but it says this iPhone cannot be updated and will only let me restore the phone to factory settings which obviously I don't want to do because it means I will lose a lot of my latest photos and documents.

Anyone have any ideas as I'm now desperate to get my phone working again?

Many thanks.
Hindsight but for the future, you can update with iTunes which removes you from the need to have space on your phone. The update of software and processing would/will be done on your PC which removes the need for space on your phone. Also, this gives you the opportunity to make a full backup prior to running an upgrade on a device that has not backed up in a while.

Assuming you have a backup some place, you can follow the prompts to reset and update the phone then do a restore from your backup. I can't say what will be lost because I don't know how long its been since you made a backup. The update should have passed with the app removal but since it didn't you have to find a way forward now. Try to reset the device and see what happens. Worst case, follow the prompts and know that in the future a backup should be the first step to an upgrade.

Budge912

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2015
Is there no way to uninstall an iOS update then and reverse the damage?

Many thanks

Hindsight but for the future, you can update with iTunes which removes you from the need to have space on your phone. The update of software and processing would/will be done on your PC which removes the need for space on your phone. Also, this gives you the opportunity to make a full backup prior to running an upgrade on a device that has not backed up in a while.

Assuming you have a backup some place, you can follow the prompts to reset and update the phone then do a restore from your backup. I can't say what will be lost because I don't know how long its been since you made a backup. The update should have passed with the app removal but since it didn't you have to find a way forward now. Try to reset the device and see what happens. Worst case, follow the prompts and know that in the future a backup should be the first step to an upgrade.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Is there no way to uninstall an iOS update then and reverse the damage?

Many thanks
No. The phone will only sign current releases. This means typically, the newest and the one prior. Part of the install/update is to check with Apple to verify the update is legit. In this process you have restrictions on the version. You are allowed to keep as old a version as you like but once you upgrade away, you are gone from that option and must use current or one before. You will need to continue forward and recover as best as you can with the backup you have.

Budge912

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2015
No. The phone will only sign current releases. This means typically, the newest and the one prior. Part of the install/update is to check with Apple to verify the update is legit. In this process you have restrictions on the version. You are allowed to keep as old a version as you like but once you upgrade away, you are gone from that option and must use current or one before. You will need to continue forward and recover as best as you can with the backup you have.

Ok thanks but previously my mum interrupted an iPhone update (which made her phone go blank) and someone on here managed to tell me how to reverse the damage.

Is it not the same idea??

Budge912

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2015
Ok thanks but previously my mum interrupted an iPhone update (which made her phone go blank) and someone on here managed to tell me how to reverse the damage.

Is it not the same idea??

Anyone please?!

I'm hesitant to restore factory settings and then download the March 2015 back up if there's still a way I can recover the photos on my iPhone.

Many thanks

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
Do you or do you not use iCloud backup or Google Photos backup? If you did, then just restore your phone and restore from iCloud Backup. iCloud backup works in the background when charging or you can manually start it. if you didn't and you don't have a manual backup, I think you are SOL with your current setup. Sorry.
download.png

Budge912

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2015
Do you or do you not use iCloud backup or Google Photos backup? If you did, then just restore your phone and restore from iCloud Backup. iCloud backup works in the background when charging or you can manually start it. if you didn't and you don't have a manual backup, I think you are SOL with your current setup. Sorry. View attachment 596427

Yes I used iCloud back up but it stopped doing it in March this year because of a space issue and seemingly the payment I thought I'd put through to increase my iCloud back up space didn't go through.

Foolishly I haven't been checking that it's been backing up and now the last iCloud back up I have is from March 2015 so if I use that one I'll lose all my recent photos (although I seem to have lost them already! )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.