Iphone 5s ghost scratches ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Thomas card, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Thomas card macrumors member

I have a white iphone 5s and had a white 5 before this and what I mean by ghost scratches is no matter what you do , the chamfered edge and the apple logo on the back seem to develop these tiny microscopic scratches that can only be seen in certain lighting , I had a case on since day one and even had a protector on the back and there are still two micro tiny scratches on the logo , I'm just wondering if anyone else has witnessed this or am I simply being anal ? Of coarse I'm not thinking of taking it in or anything I love this phone but is this something that just happens ? I bought my daughter a new iPod touch 5th gen today and wow it seems like a lot more quality control is going on there cuz it's flawless it's beautiful not a mark but give it a few months right lol

2. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

As far as I remember, it's happened to every iphones-ipods I've owned so yeah, it's normal, it's like the PS4 shiny plastic, it's all scratched even though it hasn't moved since you first unboxed it.

3. easy-peasy macrumors regular

I've had this experience as well. It's really easy to develop those cosmetic imperfections on any of the glass or chamfered edges. Once you put it in your pocket a single grain of debris could cause it to scratch.

I like keeping my things in pristine condition for easy resale later on (as well as pride of ownership) so I put on a case + screen protector the day I bought mine.

4. Thomas card thread starter macrumors member

Same thing here , case since day one but still got these microscopic scratches I found today cleaning my case , maybe it's from taking the case off and on a few times or dust I don't know

5. easy-peasy macrumors regular

Had a case since day 1 and it still gets scratched? Now that's just wrong :(

I've heard of people with bumper cases in the past getting horrendous scratches from debris getting in between the bumper and the metal antenna band.

Guess their isn't any real way to guarantee a scratch-free phone. Simply put a full-body screen protector on + case and hope for the best.

6. Thomas card thread starter macrumors member

I can't even really call them scratches just little specs or imperfections I guess , it must be from dust getting In the case or from taking the case of and on , owell I guess it's no big deal

7. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

You're right it's no big deal and as you said they are microscopic so why even think about it.

8. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

Someday, scratches will be a thing of the past, soon hopefully!

9. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

They are already not a big deal.
    The fragility of iPhone is greatly exaggerated.
    For the most part cases and certainly screen protectors are pointless and sometimes cause more issues than they protect against. It's just for the most part all you see and hear on forums is the problems and most of them are just ridiculous

10. blarivee macrumors 6502

The surfaces of cases have roughness as well. It may feel smooth to one's finger but under the microscope you'll see the unevenness. As above poster has stated, sometimes cases cause more issues than they solve.

11. Thomas card thread starter macrumors member

Anybody try the spigen brand cases I like the neo hybrid I'm using it's pretty sweet

12. sixrom macrumors 6502a

At the end of the day, my experience and that of friends and family reveals iPhone's 5 & 5S are not very durable. The finish is fragile, but looks good on day one.

No other phone of the many we've owned over the years is as fragile as these two. Yet it's completely understandable since Apple prides itself on maintaining the highest profit margins in the business.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. We pay Apple to be a premium company, they often fail to reciprocate.

----------

A Spigen case is a must have to keep your iPhone from premature cosmetic ugliness.

13. itricks.org macrumors newbie

itricks.org

same here, and its pretty annoying!
    I'm using a transparent protective film and its doesn't scratches at all. i'm very happy with it.

14. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

It all breaks down to if you do not use a case, and sometimes even if you do, your iPhone is going to show some wear.

No way around it and if you say your phone is still in pristine condition, you are in denial. My best for stopping wear and tear is the Sedio surface. Does not help much for drops but covers the phone without adding bulk.

Soft and gummy cases will attract dirt and grit and scratch you phone in no time.

15. Partridge macrumors 6502

Get over it.

It's a physical object. It will show wear if you use it. Such is life.

Nobody got bent out of shape when they got a microscopic scuff on their flip phone. The problem is that Apple products have become objects of almost fetishistic reverence. They are not objects of art to be placed in a glass case and admired. They are phones. You will use them for a year or two and move on.

I used to stress out about it. At some point you just have to let it all go and worry about other things. It's like a car. Get the first dent in, then you can finally start to enjoy it.

16. barkomatic macrumors 68040

You've got to remove the phone from the case its in about once a week, wash the case out with water or blow out the dust, wipe the phone down and put it back in.

Even if you do all that, some cases are poorly designed and themselves will cause scratches. It seems to me that cases made out of a TPU material are the best.

17. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

Yeah what's up with that?? It's like the dust scratched mine

18. Partridge macrumors 6502

Yep. The dust scratched it. Dust is surprisingly abrasive. You take a shiny black ps3, cover it in a layer of dust and then wipe it off dry? It's like rubbing it with fine sandpaper. You want to keep it from scratching, you'd have to use a damp cloth or even better blow the dust off first.

And that's for something you're not carrying around with you everywhere. Scratches are a fact of life, just be glad their micro scratches.

19. Ta0jin macrumors 6502

That's the price that's paid from pocketing your phone. I notice that from a lot of my friends iPhones that pocket them no matter what kind of case they use. The only way I know of is to use a case that protects all sides and use a hip case as well. I know, a case within a case sounds ridiculous but it works.

20. ijon01 macrumors member

None on mine as yet although it's only a week old, no case / protection at all, I do make a habit of shaking lint and debris from my pocket now and then but mainly because they end up in headphone and lightning socket, the odd bit gets in earpiece too but I think that's inevitable unless I keep it sealed in a plastic bag .....

21. Kaelbron macrumors member