iPhone 5s got water damage but proximity light is on?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Nej1140, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Nej1140 macrumors newbie

I was playing golf yesterday with my iphone in my pocket when it started to absolutely pour. I headed back in and by the time i got to the clubhouse my iPhone had a bit of water on it. I took off the case and set it on a napkin. Next time i go check it, it wont turn on...

I've had it sitting in rice under a heat lamp for the past 24 hrs, but still, it is unresponsive. I did notice that when i plug it into a charger the red proximity light turns on. When i take the charger off the light turns off.

Their are no other signs of life in the iphone, but what would this mean? Your help is very appreciated.

2. ABC5S, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014

ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

Do you have Apple Care Plus by chance ? Looks as if you got a dead phone now. Make an appointment with Apple

3. Nej1140 thread starter macrumors newbie

No i do not, i was just curious what the light might mean. And if it is totally ruined how much would it cost to fix it? Or is it not even salvageable?

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

5. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

iPhone 5S will cost $ 269.00 for out of warranty replacement

iPhone 5 will cost $ 229.00

Take it to the Apple store for their assessment

6. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

7. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Sorry, the phone is fried. I recommend taking it to Apple for an OOW replacement. It's your only option unless you want to pay someone to fix it, but since parts for the 5s are still expensive, it might cost more then taking it to Apple.

8. sjstar950 macrumors newbie

melted chocolate seeped into iphone 5s screen

I was putting my phone in my pocket, camera side down, but i forgot that there was some melted chocolate in my pocket. I didn't realize until about 3 minutes that my phone had melted chocolate on it, and by then it had covered most of the top right hand corner where the camera is, except on the front. I looked at my phone, and there weren't any water marks on it that were noticeable. so i wiped the chocolate off, and put it in my other pocket. About a couple hours later, I took out my phone, and I could see water marks all over the top right hand corner, as if the melted chocolate had gotten into the screen. There were darker splotches all over the corner, and it was darker as if the colour was fading, even when the brightness was 100%. It seemed to be getting worse as the hours passed, as I didn't have any rice to put it in. When I finally got home, I put it into some rice, and let it sit for 3 days. Now, it hasn't gotten anybetter, and it looks as if the splotches are just spreading down my phone. I don't know what to do, as i have no access to an apple store, but I am taking it to a phone shop place hopefully tomorrow, to get another point of view as if a screen replacement will take the chocolate out, and fix the screen discoloration. My questions are, will a screen replacement fix the water damage on my screen? How much will it cost to get it fixed without a warantee with apple? and Will apple replace my phone even though I don't have a warrantee?
    Thanks, and if you have any questions, just ask.

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Not sure why you're calling it water damage. That's chocolate damage, completely different. Rice will absorb water, not chocolate.

10. sjstar950 macrumors newbie

Ok, so its chocolate damage, totally different thing. But what am I supposed to do?

11. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Take it to the Apple store or a repair store, see if they can clean it out and if it's caused any damage.

Screen replacement will likely be over $100.

You can get an out of warranty replacement for about $269 I believe. They won't replace it for free.

12. sjstar950 macrumors newbie

ok thanks,
    but do u think that it would be possible to be fixed with a screen replacement? Because everything else is working fine.

13. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

iPhone screen replacement is $159.

An out of warranty phone replacement is $269.

They'll replace your screen, but they'll want to make sure there's not other internal damage.

14. sjstar950 macrumors newbie

Thank you so so so much!!! Since they both cost a fair bit of money, which one would you suggest I do.

15. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Go pay them a visit and see. Have them take a look at it, if a screen replacement is deemed enough, do that. If there's more extensive damage, do the OOW replacement.