Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nox5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2013
I walked to the ocean with my iPhone in my pocket today. When I realized my mistake iPhone was all wet. I quickly dried with towel and exposed it to hot sun rays. So far everything works fine. I guess I got lucky.

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I walked to the ocean with my iPhone in my pocket today. When I realized my mistake iPhone was all wet. I quickly dried with towel and exposed it to hot sun rays. So far everything works fine. I guess I got lucky.

The combination of power and salt water will turn out to be lethal. The clock is ticking - corrosion will happen... time to start saving up for a replacement phone.

Reactions: canuckRus and ABC5S

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Sorry to hear about your oops with the water. The salt in particular will be the most likely culprit if or when your phone quits working. Salt is extremely corrosive. I hope it stays working for you, but the odds won't be good if any water got inside.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
yeah better make a backup while you can. it may seem fine now but it can still break over time. i dropped my iPhone 6 in the bathtub last year and it took over a day for the first hickups to occur

good luck either way!

Reactions: ABC5S

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
The combination of power and salt water will turn out to be lethal. The clock is ticking - corrosion will happen... time to start saving up for a replacement phone.
Yup agree. Phone will work. But eventually it will start acting up.

It's like a beat up car. U can keep using it and it will still do what u want it to do. But like My wife water exposed phone. First the ear piece was messed up. She had to put the speaker on to hear people. Than the mic was messed up and people couldn't hear her. This happened over a 4-5 month period. Fortunately iPhone 6s was around the corner by the time she couldn't take it anymore.

Who knows. OP may get lucky and the get more months use out of it.

Than 4 months after my wife got 6S she dropped it in bath tub while taking a bath and trying to answer the phone (don't bother asking why.....women). Phone still works. I am not as worried cause I purchased insurance this time for her phone.

nox5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2013
It's been 20 hrs and my volume down button sometimes activates by itself. No other issues so far. I'm doing back up right now just in case.
I hope this is a warrning for other spring breakers to check pockets before jumping in the ocean or swimming pool.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Do regular backups and save up so you can replace it when it dies. You got lucky for now, but it most likely will slowly die.

nox5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2013
Good news, my iPhone has survived and is fully functional after a week, volume down button works too.

Gaprofitt

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009

You might consider the Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge, both IP68 protection from water, nothing getting in..

nox5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2013
You might consider the Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge, both IP68 protection from water, nothing getting in..
I hate big cell phone. On the other hand I would feel big cell phone in my pocket and it would never get wet. Hopefully SE will be water resistant.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.