Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
How? The Xeons used in there were Woodcrest CPUs belonging to the Core micro architecture, which was released in 2006.

Xeons have typically lagged behind their desktop counterparts by a year or two. For example, Ivy Bridge E is just coming out, while every other segment has moved to Haswell. Maybe that was different 7-8 years go, it's been so long that I've forgotten the specific details.

No matter what, by today's standards, those CPUs are painfully slow. They couldn't even keep up with a low-end modern GPU.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Mac Pro 1,1 on 10.8

In all seriousness though, OP, I sympathize with ML not running on a ML 1,1. I do believe there is a workaround for that though.

I have 10.8 working on my Mac Pro 1,1 - follow this step by step and it works. Only thing I found was wake from sleep sometimes KP'd but I'd simply disable sleep.

Mac OS 10.8 on Mac Pro 1,1

Works for some..

FireArse

Last edited:

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Come on apple release that update for my mac pro 1.1 to run 64bit :cool:

Apple rarely releases updates for products more than a generation old, much less 4 generations old.

Luckily, people have been running 64-bit kernel with OS X for a while using the Chameleon bootloader. It all started on netkas.org and you can read how it evolved: Booting the 64-bit kernel on the 2006/2007 Mac Pro - netkas.org forum

Step-by-step guide that grew out of that to get Mountain Lion installed provided you have a Mountain Lion-supported graphics adapter like the 5770: How I installed Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion on my 2006 MacPro 1,1 | Jabbawok's Blog

Mavericks developer preview releases so far work fine using this approach.

Squishy Tia

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
Just a clarification to the OP: Everything in the Mac Pro 1,1/2,1 is fully 64-bit except for the EFI. The EFI used in these machines is EFI32. That is why you cannot load 64-bit mode without Chameleon or other bootloader. This is the part of the system Apple would have to update for us.

I'd love to see it happen since it would make running ML/Mavericks that much easier (one would only have to add the MP1,1/2,1 board IDs into a couple files in the OS proper), but fat chance of that happening.

The Xeons used in the 1,1/2,1 MPs are 64-bit and based off of the Core 2 Duo architecture, not to be confused with the Core Duo architecture, which is 32-bit.

The iPhone 5S is the first to use a 64-bit CPU, but until that is realized by software developers, it's merely a marketing ploy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.