iPhone 5S home button concern

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KAB2010, Apr 30, 2014.

1. KAB2010, Apr 30, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2014

KAB2010 macrumors 6502

Compared to my 5 (which felt smooth and pretty much silent to click), it has a much more prominent click feeling and noise and stiffness, and has a little bit of wiggle room. Is it suppose to be like that in comparison to previous home buttons?

I know with touchID it's obviously using different technology so I just want to make sure that this isn't a quality issue that'll cost me money down the road. I bought it used and the other buttons seem fine and the same as the iPhone 5.

2. afsnyder macrumors 65816

My friends 5s feels weird. You'll get used to it probably. If you press harder you barely feel it.

3. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

When I was at the Apple store a few months ago I noticed the same thing on every display model 5S. I don't think it's a problem. The different button design just causes the feedback and sound to be different than the 5 home button.

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Yeah it does that.

----------

I use my parents 5s's all the time. It doesn't bother me at all. And I don't feel like I press harder. You'll defintly get use to it

----------

I use my parents 5s's all the time. It doesn't bother me at all. And I don't feel like I press harder. You'll defintly get use to it

5. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Just take a q-tip, dip it in some rubbing alcohol, and press down on the button with the q-tip and rub it around the circle a few times. Mine did what yours did until I did that.

6. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

We have 4 iPhone 5s's here. All the home buttons started out stiff and after a month or so they became nice and springy.

7. regkilla macrumors 6502

regkilla

Yeah and mess up your home button.

8. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

uh, no?

9. Ann P macrumors 68020

No need to put use rubbing alcohol, all the 5S's are like that. The home buttons are more stiff and sounds like a mouse click.

10. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Personally I prefer the prominent click feeling with noise and stiffness. I find it to have better feedback, and imo, I think that is the way it was designed to be.

It's not a difference between the 5, and the 5s. It is simply manufacturing variance between phones. I've been through many iphone 5's all with different button feedback. The lousy performing ones (that eventually failed) had a mushy feeling with no feedback, and were easy to press. All the ones that lasted had a lot of feedback. My current iPhone 5 has been going for almost a year now with no problems, although I feel like the home button is getting softer as time goes on. If you've ever seen the underlying mechanisms for these buttons, you would understand why they would start out firmer, and soften up over time, eventually leading to failure.

----------

Don't give advice to people if you don't know what you are talking about. This is the most ridiculous advice I have heard.

11. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

iPhone 5S home button concern

who cares about what you've heard? 99% isopropyl alcohol is fine to use on computer components. I'm not saying immerse the 5s in liquid -- I'm saying a dab of it on a swab WILL make the clicking go away. Pure Isopropyl alcohol evaporates much quicker than water and is not conductive.

12. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure it's because of the Touch ID technology. Home buttons on prior iPhones didn't feel anywhere as stiff. Also, mine clicks much louder than some other iPhone 5Ss I've heard. It doesn't bother me at all, but I definitely noticed it.

13. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Alcohol is not going to do anything for how firm a home button is on an iphone. There is no mechanism you can propose that makes any sense, on a mechanical switch.

If you are using pure propanol, it's going to evaporate almost as soon as you apply it to the substrate.

Exactly how do you propose the alcohol is interacting with the home buttons mechanical switch?

Just because two events are correlated with each other in time does not mean there is a causal relationship between the two.

14. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Trust me, I was skeptical. I'm not sure if there's just debris stuck in there, or what, but doing what I suggested completely fixed the problem. My 5s button clicked twice, made loud noises, felt uneven, etc. I did that 2 weeks ago and it's been flawless since. I'm just assuming there's detritus making its way into the enclosure.

15. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

iPhone 5s is the first iPhone with a glass home button, hence the audible click...

16. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Correlation does not equal cause-and-effect.

17. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

thank you for your continued condescension and awkward prose. I've enjoyed it.

18. MyiBill macrumors 6502

Mine has been making a "popping" noise and has been getting worse as time goes on. I may bring it in and see what Apple says.