Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does Your Home Button Function Properly?

• Always

Votes: 33 86.8%
  • Most of the time

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rarely

Votes: 4 10.5%

• Total voters

in0va3

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
NYC
Hey MacRumors,

I got my iPhone 5 on Sept. 28 and exchanged it 5 on Oct. 1st because it was scuffed out of the box and got a replacement from the Apple Store. I asked the Genius if I may return it if I accept the replacement and he said no.

I accepted the replacement iPhone 5 which came from a white box and there was no issues cosmetically. But after 3 days of use, the home button is not working. I was able to use it a few hours ago but now the home button is dead. It might work randomly after 100 clicks but I tried it so many times by pressing lightly and adding pressure but it still wouldn't function. The home button was great on the first iPhone I got but this replacement is malfunctioning.

My question is, will Apple Store let me replace/return it? And to the users who also have this problem, please tell me about your issue. As much as I like Apple products, I'm starting to be discouraged of getting an iPhone 5. Maybe this is happening because it is an early production unit though.

Thanks!

Zac7

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2011
Hey MacRumors,

I got my iPhone 5 on Sept. 28 and exchanged it 5 on Oct. 1st because it was scuffed out of the box and got a replacement from the Apple Store. I asked the Genius if I may return it if I accept the replacement and he said no.

I accepted the replacement iPhone 5 which came from a white box and there was no issues cosmetically. But after 3 days of use, the home button is not working. I was able to use it a few hours ago but now the home button is dead. It might work randomly after 100 clicks but I tried it so many times by pressing lightly and adding pressure but it still wouldn't function. The home button was great on the first iPhone I got but this replacement is malfunctioning.

My question is, will Apple Store let me replace/return it? And to the users who also have this problem, please tell me about your issue. As much as I like Apple products, I'm starting to be discouraged of getting an iPhone 5. Maybe this is happening because it is an early production unit though.

Thanks!

I would try a restore first and see if that fixes it. When u got the replacement did you restore from a backup? Could be causing an issue.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Yes you should be able to go back and get it replaced again. Just show them that the home button doesn't work.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
You can have it replaced under warranty as many times as you like providing there is a fault. What the guy was saying to you is by accepting a replacement and not a refund you waive your right to a refund under the exception period.

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
My iPhone 4's home button got really bad recently but my new i5 button is perfect and very responsive so far.

in0va3

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
NYC
I just restored it and the problem persists so I think its a hardware problem. I'm wondering if I should return it or replace it when I go to the Apple Store tomorrow... It sucks because I ordered screen protectors yesterday.

----------

You can have it replaced under warranty as many times as you like providing there is a fault. What the guy was saying to you is by accepting a replacement and not a refund you waive your right to a refund under the exception period.

So you mean I cannot return the phone if I want to?

Last edited:

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I just restored it and the problem persists so I think its a hardware problem. I'm wondering if I should return it or replace it when I go to the Apple Store tomorrow... It sucks because I ordered screen protectors yesterday.

----------

So you mean I cannot return the phone if I want to?

Correct that's in the terms when you get a warranty replacement

in0va3

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
NYC
Correct that's in the terms when you get a warranty replacement

Why can't I return it? What if I just don't want the iPhone anymore because there are too many problems? I also found dust under the camera lens btw.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Why can't I return it? What if I just don't want the iPhone anymore because there are too many problems? I also found dust under the camera lens btw.

You can replace it but once you've accepted the replacement you can't ask for a refund

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.