iPhone 5S Home Button sticky?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by zybersniper, Oct 9, 2013.

1. zybersniper macrumors member

Anyone noticed how the iPhone 5s feels extremely stickier and less tactile than the iPhone 5? At first I thought my 5S had a sticky home button but it seems all the iPhone 5S on display at the Apple Store had the same sticky button feel to it.

The power button is also less protruded than the iPhone 5 and doesn't seem as easy to press comparatively.

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

It is a different button now, not the same as the old one....but no, mine doesn't feel 'sticky', I've never had one that does on any of my Apple toys.

3. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

View My Video

like this? mine does it too and so do all 12 display models at apple store

4. zybersniper thread starter macrumors member

Yep! I miss the buttery smooth home button click on the iPhone 5. Hopefully it won't be a revisit to the old iPhone 4 home button problems on the 5S after the redesign.

5. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Im fine with the click, I just hate the secondary click.

When I click my button and let go, about 1 second later Ill hear another click like the ring is popping back into place. Its driving me nuts.

6. zybersniper thread starter macrumors member

It's the secondary click I'm also referring to. It's also driving me nuts. This seems like a step backwards from the iPhone 5 home button.

7. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Glad to know im not alone. At the store, some display models had 3 clicks after pressing the button so there are worse ones.

If I had a nice cool tinted screen this wouldnt bother me so much

8. zybersniper thread starter macrumors member

You have the yellow tint? Mine had it the first day but cleared after a few days of using it. Now its slightly warmer than my 5 but my iPhone5's tint was too cool to begin with. I've had worse luck with iPad screens so I'm pretty happy with the 5S screen as is.

9. josephavellino macrumors newbie

iPhone 5S Home Button Click

I got a 5S (64GB black) the day after launch event. I have had every iPhone and iPad and there are a number of them in my family.

The home button click was unbearable.

I went to the Apple Store a week later. The Genius heard the click and swapped out the phone. I'm now at about ⅔ no-click - ⅓ click. The click isn't as loud as the first phone, but is very noticeable.

Sadly, I think every time now about where I have to place my thumb and how I have to press the button to avoid the click. And I still sometimes don't succeed.

Here's my question for Apple engineering: Is it supposed to click or not? If it is not supposed to click, then fix it for those who have buttons that click. If it is supposed to click, then those who have phones that don't click have a problem. You have to tell us which it is and make it consistent.

Frankly, I still don't get why we're doing so much button clicking. Steve Jobs was moving us away from that like with the multi-gestures on the iPad. But that's another story. In the meantime, tell us whether the button is supposed to click or not and then make it consistent across the board. If you can't, you have a material problem in your manufacturing process.

10. tradyblix macrumors newbie

Clicks aren't the problem

Some of the people here seem too freaked out that the button has a different feel to the previous button, i.e., that it's too loud, etc. Which I find a little obsessive compulsive considering the structure of the thing has changed for touch id. I don't think there's much we can expect from that.

However, something that slightly concerns me is that sometimes, and it doesn't always happen, but it feels like when you click it's kinda stuck for a couple hundred milliseconds and then it goes down hard, which makes me feel like it might break, because it sure seems like there is a lot of friction...complaints about that I can understand...

11. zybersniper thread starter macrumors member

If you've been using many different iterations of the Apple products that involve a home button, you've got a reason to be worried that the new one feels very different. The iPhone 3G and 4 had horrible home buttons that were very prone to wearing out over a year or so. It goes to a point where the button becomes totally unresponsive and hence people found the solution by using assistive touch.

On the iPhone 5, Apple redesigned the home button so that it felt way smoother to press and would last lot longer.

However, on the 5S, it seems that they've taken a step backward in terms of the tactile feedback from the home button and is a worrying reminder of the days past when the home buttons were hard to press and prone to breaking down. I wouldn't be too worried if the buttons were easy to replace, but to replace it requires ungluing the digitiser with the LCD which is almost impossible to reassemble back to its original condition.