iPhone 5s hosed by 7.1.2 update

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Zetaprime, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Zetaprime macrumors 65816

Anyone else have their phone ruined by the 7.1.2 update? I've had iPhones since the 1st one came out and this is the worst update ever. It went into recovery mode which meant having to restore from scratch. What a massive pain in the ass. Hours and hours to get everything back the way it was. Now afraid to let this update touch my iPad.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You should always backup before you attempt any update.
    Also many ota updates don't go as smooth and might need an iTunes restore if they get stuck.
    If you never had probs with updates before consider yourself lucky but it happens often to many.

3. 2kidsandapoodle macrumors newbie

Phone accessory not supported message

Just did the update, now the phone will not charge. I get the message that says phone accessory not supported. Of course I am only using an apple charger and apple cord.
    Anyone else having the same problem?

4. Zetaprime, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014

Zetaprime thread starter macrumors 65816

iPhone 5s hosed by 7.1.2 update

The backup is there on iCloud. It is just the massive annoyance of having to wait many, many hours for all the apps and pics to get restored. Minor updates shouldn't trigger such a massive failure. It will likely take all night and into the morning for all the apps and pics to be restored. I expect that when I get a new phone, but not when doing a point update.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you. It does suck and it's a major waste of time.
    But happened to many with previous updates also.
    It might never have happened to you but doesn't mean all previous updates were perfect and smooth for everyone and just this one sucked.
    Happens with ota updates.
    IMO it's safer to update with iTunes and less risky.

6. I7guy macrumors G5

7. I7guy macrumors G5

Done. Took 18 minutes. Wonder why OTA hoses some but not other iPhones. Have a 5s, btw.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

No issues here on a 64GB 5s or 16GB iPad mini. I also applied the update to my AppleTV without any issues.

I've had major issues with OTA updates before though. The current system certainly has some issues.

9. Zetaprime thread starter macrumors 65816

Though I had massive problems updating my iPhone 5s today I did update my MacBook Air (OSX 10.9.4) and AppleTV without any hiccups.

10. YaddaMinski macrumors newbie

iPhone 5s 32GB Hosed

Just tried update and hosed 5s 32gb. Had to do a hard reset to get back. Will probably drop Apple products now since my relatively new MacBook Retina 13" Late 2013 freezes on youtube vids regularly. Goodbye Apple hello Android and Linux...5s just rebooted after being stuck on update screen. Tells me I have 7.1.2. I may give Apple one more chance if they fix my MacBook.

11. Zetaprime thread starter macrumors 65816

I managed to update my iPad Mini Retina 128 gig with no problems, which was a relief after the experience I had with my phone. The phone did manage to get restored from iCloud after about 5 hours. So all is well once again.

12. kidsleepy macrumors member

kidsleepy

iPhone 5s 64 gb

just did the update (7.1.2) on my iPhone 5s 64gb and had no issues whatsoever... if this helps, i was going to use the phone to get the update but instead plugged my phone into my computer (macbook pro 13" retina) and did it that way. anyway, sorry to those who's phones received shock...

13. p4594spa macrumors newbie

latest update issues

It went smoothly on my ipad mini.
    On the iPhone 5S, it hung the phone ( black screen, white apple logo, progress bar stuck at 1/4)
    Need to do hard-reset twice.

Apple online support says that have seen lots of it.
    The hard reset (home and power buttons at the same time) can take up to 5 minutes to complete

14. YaddaMinski macrumors newbie

15. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

There are some great android phones out there but even the good ones have had issues. My HTC One was an awesome phone but I can't say that it never had issues updating or issues with crashing and random restarts.

As for your rMBP, unless you're only watching HTML 5 YouTube videos, Adobe Flash is the real issue. It runs like crap on OSX(and in my opinion Windows), and it's really up to Adobe to fix it.

16. kidsleepy, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2014

kidsleepy macrumors member

kidsleepy

gosh, i feel so lucky that this update didn't screw me, apologies to everyone else.

also, im not judging everyone, but i have proper backups of everything and use iCloud as closely to my advantage as possible, considering upgrading from the free 5gb of space so i can start storing my photos (5gb+) and music (18gb+) on the cloud as well.

my macbook pro 13.3" retina doesn't have these problems with adobe flash/youtube videos... that's strange...

perhaps he has a problem with adobe updater? i do. I'm running adobe cs5 premium and had to recently manually download all of the updates and have them install that way. that should be something he should try... (i should have really quoted him)...