iPhone 5s in 2016

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GigabitEthernet, Sep 17, 2016.

1. GigabitEthernet macrumors 6502

My Dad is currently on the iPhone 4s running iOS 7 (managed to stop him from going to iOS 9 which from experience is terrible on the 4s) and I've finally convinced him it's time to upgrade.

He doesn't want to spend a lot of money on a new phone as he doesn't upgrade very often. He had the iPhone 4 from 2010 to the start of 2016 and then he inherited my Mum's iPhone 4s, so you can see he doesn't upgrade very often.

Is the 5s still a good buy? Bearing in mind that by his count, he's going to keeping this at least three years, will it still be good in three years time?

2. nivekr11 macrumors regular

I'd go with the SE at least. My wife still has a 5s and it's showing it's age.

3. broadbean macrumors 6502a

I've been running iOS 10 beta on a 5s, it was hardly slower than my SE until I remember tweaking a setting, but overall the 5s is more than fine. Get it because it's way cheaper than an SE you can find, but the SE should last a few more OS updates.

4. ryankul macrumors regular

No issues here. Still works great. AT&T sells the Go version for like $240 to own. It works on Go service or ATT contract/lease plan also.

5. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

I'd say SE too, should last longer as he doesn't update that often. But also sounds like he won't be that bothered by performance so a 5S should do fine too.

6. IJBrekke macrumors 6502

I have a co-worker that was still using a 3G as of last week. When the SE came out I told her about it, thinking it would be the type of cheaper upgrade she'd be interested in.

Last week she showed up with a new 5S. I asked her why she didn't get the SE? "It was $100 more and they seemed exactly the same."

So yeah, there's a subset of casual users where the 5S will work perfectly for many years to come.

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Depends on how long he wants it to last. If he only uses it lightly, the 5S should keep him going for many years. If he actually uses it quite a bit, and wants future iOS updates, definitely go for the SE.

8. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I agree, the SE is like the 5s, but with the 6(s) tech inside of it. Modern and affordable enough. And iOS 10 works just fine on it. And surely 11 will as well.

9. benboy12 macrumors regular

Best Buy had the SE brand new for around $260-$270 a few weeks ago, which I thought it was a steal for a brand new Apple device that has the same insides as the 6s.

10. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=7969&idPhone2=7242
    Just posting for reference, comparison between the two. kinda makes me wanna buy the phone as a backup phone and second camera, haha.

11. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

I don't understand anymore. Some people say that their Iphone 6 is going strong and will be many years from now. Some people say that 5s is showing it's age. It's not much differene between 5s and 6. So what should i believe? :D

12. peter.sift macrumors newbie