iPhone 5s iOS 7 stolen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macgrl, Jun 29, 2014.

1. macgrl macrumors 65816

Hello all,

My iphone 5s was stolen yesterday. I have cancelled the sim with carrier and they have blacklisted the IMEI.

I have a password to access it / fingerprint.

I called the phone after it was stolen but the sim had been removed pretty quickly and it shows on FMI as offline - I have requested an eraze via FMI but as I doubt it will go online again I can't see it working.

My only concern and my reason for posting is to ask - what use is the phone to anyone? Can they actually use it?

Secondly, is there anyway they can access the phone / get access to my data -email accounts etc on the phone?

Many thanks
    macgrl

2. danielowenuk macrumors 6502

Remote wipe will kill all the data if it is ever connected to a network.

The rest is a touch wooly without further information. If you had a passcode lock, then any thief would need to get past that to look at your information. For a thief I doubt that would be of much value. And it would only be data already on the phone (no new emails or ability to send, as that would require network access).

Beyond that, a reset would require your iCloud details, so that's almost impossible.

Only real use is for parts.

3. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

The sad thing is there still is a market for iCloud locked, blacklisted iPhones. You will see a lot listed on eBay and Craigslist. As long as they can get some money there will still be a market for stolen cell phones.

I can't understand why anyone would purchase an iCloud locked and/or blacklisted iPhone, or why any of the sales sites allow them to be listed. They have to know that they are just causing more cell phones to be stolen in the long run.

4. I7guy macrumors G5

It's a lousy feeling, but your data on the phone is safe, unless the thief gets very lucky and guesses your password.

5. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

For parts I guess, they do run really low, even $50 but those fly off the shelves.

Or just a cool paperweight :)

6. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

Also just straight ignorance; people thinking they're getting a great deal on a phone not really understanding that they'll never be able to use it.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its useless now to anyone.
    Just make sure to never release it or remove it from your icloud account.
    If you do then the activation lock will be gone.
    Just leave it there for years. Its an expensive paperweight now or they can just use it for spare parts like screen and battery etc...

8. bushman4 macrumors 68000

As has been mentioned its useless
    Problem is that people stealing these iPhones don't know about the activation lock in most cases
    Because they don't own an IPhone or read newspapers
    At some point somebody will attempt to bring it online and you'll have the opportunity to wipe it clean

9. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

LOL this reminds me of that story that made the news when a guy bought a Xbox One on eBay and when he opened the package there was only a photo of an Xbox One :) there was the word "Photo" in the title just as there is "iCloud locked" here and people just ignore it probably.

10. macgrl thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you very much for the replies guys. I feel a bit better and insurance will cover it and it's only a phone :) (still annoyed though lol)

11. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

The best thing to do is change all your passwords for all social media, emails, etc etc. This way if they ever were able to get in (highly doubtable), all these applications would be asking for the new passwords and wouldn't show your data anyway. I think you are safe though as a locked iPhone is pretty much useless these days unless it is to be used for spares. :)

12. chabig macrumors 68040

One quick point...once your carrier 'cancelled' the SIM, you lost your ability to remote wipe because it requires network connectivity to instruct the phone to wipe. In the future, go to Find My iPhone and wipe the device before you call your carrier.

13. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yo, did you read this? (part in bold)
    Basically the iPhone is good for parts so long as it is on your cloud account. May as well take the guy's advice above and start changing passwords. That is what I would do anyway.

14. chabig macrumors 68040

Yes. Exactly. She called the phone after the SIM was deactivated, according to my interpretation of "...but the SIM had been removed pretty quickly". She also noticed that Find My iPhone was offline. That was the point of my post. Do those things before you call your carrier.

15. macgrl thread starter macrumors 65816

It was stolen from my hand as i was walking home :-(

Thanks for all the advice guys..much appreciated..hopefully I will never need to use the advice :)

----------

That's a very good point..in my panic and worry about notifying the carrier as soon as possible. I

16. I7guy macrumors G5

Out of curiosity, did you have control center or notifications enabled on the lock screen?

If the sim was removed immediately, it could be an indeterminate amount of time before the phone comes online, i would think it's better to call the carrier.

17. macgrl thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't know about whether control center etc was enable..what would that mean?

That's why I just called the carrier...if I don't tell them within a certain time frame I could get billed for any use on the sim.

18. Jiz macrumors regular

EX Wife steals my SIM

My ex wife ran off with my SIM card.
    She has contacted some people in my contacts. Uggh!

What else can she see? Can she see SMSs?
    Are SMSs stored on the SIM?

19. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

The iPhone is still worth money as parts. 3rd party repair services have had to use non-Apple screens and other parts for repairs ion the past. Now you can get the real thing if you are lucky.

Sorry about your loss. Grieve for a while and then move on as staying upset will not help anything.

Look at what happened to get your phone stolen and take steps to make sure it does not happen again!

20. chabig macrumors 68040

Contacts aren't stored on the SIM card. She must have gotten those from somewhere else. iPhone doesn't store personal information on the SIM (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4994?viewlocale=en_US). iPhone SIM cards only determine the carrier, the phone number, and certain carrier features.

21. Jiz macrumors regular

There is conflicting info on that page ;

Importing contacts stored on a SIM card
    While iPhone does not use the SIM to store contact names and phone numbers, you can still copy your contacts from a SIM card to your iPhone. You can use your old phone's SIM card (if your old phone is not an iPhone) to transfer the primary phone number for each of your contacts from the SIM card."

22. chabig macrumors 68040

You didn't say she took an iPhone SIM card. I assumed. Yes, other phones may store contact data on the SIM. I recommend you look for information specifically applicable to your device.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Read the info on that page again.
    The iphone does not store contacts or any info like that on the phone.
    If you have a sim from another phone that did store contacts saved on the sim card then you can put that sim inside the iphone and import those contacts into the iphone.

24. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

to reassure the OP... your data is most likely not going to be accessed. whoever stole it is probably interested in just making a quick sale and being done with it. they have probably already restored it. if you are worried though, or had some really important stuff on there, i think find my iPhone will allow you to send an action to wipe the device and it will go into affect once it comes back online. sorry for the loss.