iPhone 5S is freezing constantly after iOS upgrade

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by kappaknight, Mar 31, 2014.

1. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Is this happening to anyone else? My phone no longer crashes or reboots, but now it freezes all the time since the upgrade. It's the latest phone too! What gives?

Also, today it told me this Device might not be supported when it was only connected to my Macbook Pro via the Apple wire.

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

3. kappaknight thread starter macrumors 68000

kappaknight

The screen stops being responsive for about 3 to 10 seconds, then it quickly catches up all the actions you tried to do during that time.

4. Ann P macrumors 68020

Try a hard reset first and if that doesn't work, do a full factory restore. Start completely fresh. If the freezing persists, take it in for inspection.

5. C DM macrumors Westmere

Is that pretty much randomly even when just going through different home screens or app folders or notification center, or perhaps only within apps (or even just some apps)?

6. kappaknight thread starter macrumors 68000

kappaknight

I've hard reset it a couple of times now - have not done a reinstall yet. It's stupid cause I'm just going to restore from a backup.

It's been random so far. Sometimes it's in an app, other times it's elsewhere. For example, I tried to send a new text to a friend in my address book, and when I typed his first name, the autocomplete did not load... Another time I tried to hit the top button to check the time, and the screen would not come on at all. Another time I was flipping through Facebook and the entire UI just stopped responding. Pressing the home button didn't do anything while it was stuck - then the phone "woke up" and responded to all my gestures in about half a second, but 15 seconds after I did them.

7. missasnate, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014

missasnate macrumors newbie

it's happening to my iPhone 5s too!

After 7.1. iOS update my phone is constantly lagging and freezing. Like when I click on a folder, it doesn't open up instantly like it used to- it freezes for like 3 seconds and only then opens up. Same when I open apps, try and text messages. Sometimes when I click on the home button it is unresponsive and I have to keep clicking until the screen turns on and I can enter the passcode! It's so annoying, has anyone found a good solution for this??

8. enoC macrumors 6502

enoC

Have you tried restoring and setting the iPhone up as new? Meaning NO use of backup!

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Has restarting the phone made any difference? If not, how about resetting network settings or perhaps even all settings? And if not that then a restore might be needed, as mentioned in an earlier reply.

10. Arelunde macrumors 6502a

Arelunde

It sounds like one of your apps is running in the background causing the random delays in responsiveness. Do you have a news app or something that updates in the background? Sometimes app updates will cause this - you can turn off auto updates in settings and try it manually to see if that's the culprit.

11. mohammed-eg macrumors member

open date and time setting and activate 24 h switcher and check after that

12. andrewhl macrumors newbie

andrewhl

I'm also having the exact same issue. iPhone 5S on iOS 7.1 has not stopped freezing.. It's incredibly annoying.

13. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

64 bit architecture causes the iPhone 5s to have some processing problems. The iPhone 5 actually runs iOS 7 more smoothly.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

In cases like this it seems like there might be something else (perhaps even a bit strange) behind it.

15. kingdom23 macrumors regular

You could try resetting the keyboard dictionary. Go to settings, general, reset keyboard dictionary.

16. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

The SO would actually counter that and say don't do the restore. That wipes out info that the staff needs to see.

caveat, if you aren't close to an apple store and would have to say 'wait until the weekend' go to, then do the wipe now and let it run for those 2-3 days. if there is a serious issue it should start throwing the same errors as before so they will be there to be seen. But don't do any kind of resets or wipes the morning of.

17. kappaknight thread starter macrumors 68000

kappaknight

It went away for a bit, but now it's back again. I can't figure out how to reproduce it as it happens sporadically. Not sure why this is happening, or why it's not reported more.

2 of my friends are seeing the same issues too.

----------

This seems like a random thing to do for a fix?

18. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

Carrier name? Because there are reports that with long carrier name iPhone lags.