Iphone 5s - is the mic that picky?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by treehorn, Nov 16, 2013.

1. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

I upgraded from a 4S to a 5S and since doing that have been getting a lot of complaints from people that they don't understand messages I leave or that I'm mumbling when I'm talking to them. On my end I feel like I'm shouting in order to be understood (and I'm an ex-actor who did a lot of unamplified Shakespeare…being heard has never been a problem).

Is there a trick to positioning I'm missing? Is the mic that sensitive that not having it exactly lined up causes problems (and/or is there such a difference between the 4S and the 5S that what my muscle memory is used to for holding it is completely wrong?)

Or did I get a lemon and need to have it looked into for replacement

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I'd have Apple check it out.

After both having the 5, then my getting the 5s, my son actually commented that it's clearer when we talk on the phone, now.

3. treehorn thread starter macrumors 6502

treehorn

As an FYI/Update. Called Apple after having both AT&T and Apple complain that they couldn't hear me on a call (yet another IPhone in same room worked perfectly). Seems that they have 'fixes' in place to try so it may be a problem that is surfacing with some regularity.

First thing to try was a hard reset of the phone (pushing home/power buttons). Haven't been on too many calls since i tried but it may have worked

Next thing they want one to try is doing a reset of the phone without third party Apps, as maybe one of them is interfering with the mic (especially if one, like I did, simply restored from an older iPhone)

We shall see...