iPhone 5s just looks ridiculously small after using iPhone 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by seasurfer, Nov 28, 2014.

1. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

I took out my old iPhone 5s today and look at it, it just looked so small. The screen is also not as crisp as the iPhone 6 Plus.

Do you guys feel the same way?

2. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Yes. I picked up my friend's 5S and it did seem cramped, but not as much as my other friend's iPod Touch 4G with the 3.5" screen. It had been about a month since I had my 4S and I picked up her iTouch and had a brief "it looks like a cracker" moment and can't believe I (happily) used it for 3 years.

3. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I remember watching the first full season of LOST on my iPod Video back in the day! Talk about a tiny screen.

I suppose it is all relative to our current experiences.

4. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Sorry to be immature but the title may just be a metaphor.

Even after just using the iPhone 5 the 3.5" screen looked half as small to use.

5. bubulol macrumors 6502a

I tried all form factor, all size, guess what even Android phone :p
    I came to conclude, Z3 Compact which i currently own has the best size i could put in my hands
    iPhone 6 is sightly larger, i think Apple made mistake, too much focusing on thickness than compactness.
    However i like its size, nothing too small, nothing too big
    Z3 Compact is 4'6 but barely bigger than 5S which has only 4''
    I ve switched from an iPhone 4S which at that time was perfect for me, to a 5'' Android
    Also tried Note II which i believe, its within iPhone 6 Plus size range
    While its very comfy for watching video, web browsing, mailing...
    I must admit: you cannot use from one hand only.
    Its also too big within pocket.
    Apple size ratio isnt good, otherwise 5S might deliver the best compromise between size and practical

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I have very small hands, but can actually use the 6 with one hand. It does require some shifting of the device. For the first time ever, I am actually considering a thin case to put on the phone b.c it is slippery as hell.

The z3C felt very odd in hand to me. The materials used on the phone felt cheap. I don't mean the phone is cheap but it did feel cheap in hand. I had the compact for a few days :(

7. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

I've found a thin case that grips well helps a lot when shifting the device around my hand.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Can you Link to it? I'm going to stop by apple today and check out the leather cases.

9. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I picked up my daughter's 5C the other day and tried to type on it. Couldn't believe I used something that small once, lol. Guess I'm pretty used to my 6 Plus.

10. bubulol macrumors 6502a

Z3C has same hand grip as iPhone 4 except those edge sides are made from translucent plastic (but it does grip your fingers)
    Its classic versus between curved form factor and squared form factor

----------

Its a matter of habit
    i have downgraded 5'' to 4''6 (Z3C)
    I couldnt say it would be impossible to switch back from phablet format to even smaller size as 5S
    But its still possible to get used to ;)

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Is it weird I type way faster on a smaller screen? It has to do with my thumbs being so close together.

12. I7guy macrumors P6

After playing with the i6 and i6+ I agree. However, I can't bring myself to buy a larger phone...I really like the 5s form factor.

13. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Hmm OP. I have an iPhone 5 (not a 5s). So, to understand your topic for this thread I have to look at the 4/4s and the 3GS (which I used to own).

So, I guess your topic is relative because I'm ok with my 5. The larger screen of the 6+ has a certain attraction, but Apple ruined it with the design/look of the phone and the lack of black as a color option.

My iPhone 5 is Black/Slate, not a color option on the 5s, 5c or the 6 and 6+. That to me was the ultimate deal killer.

But we're all different in what we prefer.

14. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I actually agree. I liked the slate color a lot. I also think the new 6 is slightly lighter than even the 5s. I really don't like it at all. Especially the antennae bands. Yuck.

I don't mind the smaller screen as I use my iPad for any big screen tasks. I don't like talking on or carrying around devices that are phablets. I've got a Note 3 and it hasn't been used as a phone since I got it...

The 5s is a good device and I loved my 5c...

15. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

A thing looks small compared to a larger thing..

Yes, that really is a stunning observation! :rolleyes:

16. stevemiller macrumors 68000

I went from a 4s to a 6, and I think I'd buy a 4-4.3" form factor with a 1080 screen in a heartbeat if they offered it.

Everyone has different tastes, I just hope manufacturers realize there is still a market for compact phones.

17. Bishop Biscuits macrumors member

Bishop Biscuits

I picked up my friends 4S to try and help fix his issues and I thought to myself... "How did I defend this for 4 years?".

18. g.t. rags macrumors 6502

thats what happened to me... i held one once or twice, but that was it, just held it. i finally got an opportunity to look at it and play with it for about 5 minutes, and i was sold

19. Alphabetize macrumors 6502

Alphabetize

I have been using the iPhone 6 Plus since October and I cannot even imagine going to a smaller screen size. Couldn't be happier with the iPhone 6 Plus.

20. Baytriple macrumors 6502

Oh yes. Was looking at my mums 4 wondering how I ever use something that small.

21. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

Even the regular 6 feels ridiculously big in my pocket as compared to the 5s.

22. seasurfer thread starter macrumors 6502a

After using the 6 plus, even the 6 looked small. :)

23. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

I just got a 6 this past week and wasn't sure how I would like it because I used my 5s one handed all the time. Now that I've had it for 4 days I can definitely say 4.7" is the perfect size. The only thing I'm still trying to get used to is the larger text size in some apps. But other than that I don't think I'd go back to a 4" screen anytime soon. Plus the 6 with its rounded edges feels amazing in the hand. I'm using one of Apple's silicon cases and its just the perfect amount of grip so it's never sliding out of my hand. The 6 is a fantastic piece of hardware. Now Apple just needs to fix the bugtastic iOS 8.

24. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

25. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

My iPhone 5 and 5s both looked small as soon as I got them. For anybody who has ever used an Android phone, the iPhones were TINY in comparison.