iPhone 5s just went totally unresponsive for a few minutes, then eventually rebooted.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by user-name-here, Sep 26, 2013.

1. user-name-here macrumors 65816

The first time it happened I figured it was a random glitch and didn't pay much attention to it. Now that it's happened a 2nd time I'm wondering if others have this issue as well? :confused:

The second time it happened I was:
    - in safari just browsing the web
    - then I got an gmail app notification and clicked on it to open the gmail app
    - I scroll down the email just a little bit to read more
    - then when I go to scroll down further the phone is totally unresponsive
    - touch screen wont respond at all, home and power button wont work :(

Eventually the thing reboots to a black screen with an apple logo and all is "ok" but I wonder how widespread this issue is.

Of course I started from scratch with my 5s, no backup whatsoever, plus I updated to 7.0.1 as soon as I was first setting up my phone for the bug fixes it says it provided.

Also I went into Settings -> General -> About -> Diagnostics & Usage -> Diagnostics & Usage Data to see if there were any crash reports and I see a few entries titled "LatestCrash.plist" and "LowMemory".

I'd assume this is just an iOS 7 issue and that I should just put my faith in apple that they iron things out with updates?

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I've had this happen several times. Early adoption blues. It will be fixed in future updates. It's happened to me a couple times using Gmail. It could actually be something google is doing. GVoice has caused a respring for me too.

3. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

Never seen or heard of this before. Probably a bad website you're visiting or a broken app.

4. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Yeah, there are no threads about this on MacRumors. :rolleyes:

5. duaneu macrumors 6502a

Probably an iOS 7 issue. Had a similar experience on an iPhone 5 a couple of days ago.

6. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Had it happen to me on my 32g. I forget exactly what I was doing but the screen just went black. It didn't respond to anything for about 30 seconds and then rebooted itself. Only happened once. It's also rebooted itself once as well. Not too concerned. Other then those 2 times, it's been perfect. This kinda stuff is to be expected on a brand new device with a brand new OS. It'll all be worked out in future update.

7. SR71 macrumors 68000

SpringBoard has crashed on me 5-7 times in the past week of owning my 5S. These are just the usual bugs that come with a major OS update. There'll probably be an update in 1-2 weeks to address these crashes, freezes, and reboots.

8. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

I had this happen when using the app Bugshot screenshot utility, I thought it was the app that was the issue.

9. ewils19 macrumors 6502

This has happened to me twice today. The first time it happened when I was using the nike+ app. The second was just now when I was using chrome.

10. daneoni, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2013

daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Its iOS 7 it happened on my iPhone 5 too. One of the reasons i've left my 'auto send diagnostic' button toggled on

11. pat park macrumors 6502a

lol

12. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

For me safari freezes and it must be killed from multitasking for it to work again. Happened to me about 10-15+ times already. Mainly happens when I type a long message in Safari or happens randomly when simply using safari.

13. andovertrask macrumors newbie

Same issue with iPhone 4S

My 4S has frozen and restarted a dozen times in the last few days. I am trying to hold out for an iPhone 6 next year, but I'm starting to worry this phone won't last that long. Hopefully it is an iOS issue that will be resolved.

14. phreebsd macrumors regular

My 5S, 7.0.2 has this issue as well.
    no rhyme or reason. i can be in safari or in mail or in settings no matter where.
    it will become unresponsive then the phone restart to black screen with apple and all is well after that.

15. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

I just exchanged my iPhone 5S in the Apple Store today because of the vertical lines issue, but one thing the guy mentioned when he ran the diagnostic on my old 5S was that I had unusual crashing activity with multiple apps, including mail and some of the others mentioned above. They will be sending that information to the Apple engineers, but he thought it was very odd. I wonder if this is a fairly widespread problem. I also had trouble restoring from iCloud as well. On my first 5S it never completed the restore, and after 48 hours, it still wasn't showing completed but did not appear to be restoring any additional data. Currently restoring on my second 5S, so let's hope that this time it works OK.

16. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

Just 5 minutes ago, I was in the app drawer closing all my apps rapidly and my 5S randomly rebooted, it didnt become unresponsive, just rebooted. It doesn't alarm me, it's the only time in two days of owning that it's done that, but I guess we will see, that would happen on my 4S sometimes but it was jailbroken. I'm on 7.0.1.

17. iosuser macrumors 6502a

I had this happen on my 5s too once. All buttons and touchscreen were unresponsive. The only thing moving on the screen was the network activity thing spinning. After about 20 seconds I pressed and held power and home buttons for a few seconds then it restarted.

Have never had any iphone lockup like this before...

I also noticed with iOS 7 your battery stat gets reset after you reboot the phone. No new stat will be shown until you charge it again.

18. flashflooder macrumors regular

I've had several crashes/resprings/reboots on my 5s running 7.0.2.

I can deal with the occasional hiccup, but last night I pulled my phone out of my pocket and it was completely dead. I had to hold home + power to get it rebooted, and then it got stuck in an endless apple/spinning wheel cycle. It would also throw the occasional blue screen. After about 45 minutes of this, I had to hook it up to iTunes in DFU mode and restore the phone.

Not at all impressed.

19. madgibbon macrumors member

I've had the same issue a couple of times with my 4th gen iPad. The first time was swiping between apps, the second browsing a site in Safari. My work colleague had his 5s restart this morning while listening to music.

I'm presuming there are few bugs in iOS 7 as i never had a these issues with iOS 6