iPhone 5S locked, not activated-what to do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by booch221, Jul 13, 2014.

1. booch221, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014

booch221 macrumors newbie

I bought a new iPhone 5S model A1533 on craigslist. I was told it was unlocked. I later find out it is locked to ACS a regional Alaska wireless carrier (www.alaskacommunications.com) ACS uses both GSM and CDMA phones on their network. I also checked http://iphoneimei.info/ and it says the phone is not activated.

I called ACS and gave them the IMEI and they confirmed it is an ACS phone and said it could be activated on their network. I asked ACS if they would unlock it for me and they said NO.

I've been trying to sell it on craigslist, but so far all I get is low ball offers and scammers. If I could get it unlocked I could easily sell on Swappa. One of the unlocking services I looked at iunlox.co.uk says "The phone must have been activated at some point (the IMEI must be registered in Apple's database).

So what are my options? Take it to ACS, open an account and get it activated? Then try to get it unlocked? (I don't really want to be an ACS customer.) Sell it to someone on ebay who knows how to jailbreak it? Is it worth more activated or unactivated?

I would appreciate some expert advice and guidance.

2. imaginex20 macrumors 65816

imaginex20

People who buy phones without putting in a SIM card cease to amaze me...

3. booch221 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Expensive lesson learned.
    Next time never take a strangers word and buy anything without testing it out.
    Sell it for whatever you can get and try to recover some of your money back.
    Don't waste more money or time on it. Move on.
    Jailbreaking does not equal unlocking.
    2 totally different things. Even if you could jb it you cannot software unlock it via hack.

5. 617aircav Suspended

I sell on CL a lot and you would be amazed how many people don't test phones they buy. I had to make this girl I sold a sprint iPhone to call sprint to verify the phone. So many trusting and naive buyers out there.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh yeah, you know it.
    There's a sucker born every minute they say:D

7. booch221 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know I fuc-ed up. I don't need anymore posts reminding me of that.
    I'm looking for advice on what to do next. I'm trying to sell it, but I'd like to position myself to get the most money. That's what I'm asking about.

8. makerleone macrumors regular

makerleone

I am not an expert, but advising you to take it to ACS and open an account to activate it. after activation i think you may find some way.

9. 617aircav Suspended

ACS will never unlock it for you. Never. Your best bet is to sell it. I spent 3 years in Fairbanks and CL was a gold mine for me as it was so cheap to buy phones. I would end up flipping those phones on eBay. Just sell it and move on. There is no other option.

10. aneftp macrumors 68040

Yes. Very misinformed people. I always tell people to test phone out. Just want to have pleasant experience and that I am not ripping anyone off.

Most Craigslist sellers are good period.