iPhone 5s mic issue (others can't hear me)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phlydude, Sep 25, 2013.

1. phlydude macrumors regular

phlydude

I activated my phone last night, things went smooth and quick. Used Siri for texting and it worked well...didn't make any phone calls though.
    Now I have been in a no AT&T area today so I didn't get to make any phone calls...make one tonight and my wife can't hear me. Ok, I had the aux wire in the car plugged in, maybe it didn't recognize it's removal. Nope!
    Tried headset, nothing. Regular phone, nothing. Speaker phone has lots of background noise.

Going to backup the phone, try a restore and see if that works. Otherwise, making a Genius Bar appt for tomorrow when I get home. :mad:

2. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

Take off the plastic.

3. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

4. phlydude thread starter macrumors regular

phlydude

5. taran420 macrumors 6502a

Are you using a third party app such as viber to make calls? They require permission before using microphone.

6. mightygitis macrumors 6502

mightygitis

I just love the phrasing here.

Let us know how the restore goes. It should have two microphones one for regular calls and one for speaker. I'd be surprised if both were faulty!

Wait, it's launch, maybe not...

7. phlydude thread starter macrumors regular

phlydude

Called my work cell phone...sounds like I am under water in a train tunnel and only picks up my voice on speaker. This phone is a bad one. What gets me is that my wired headset doesn't work either...there is definitely something wrong with something on this phone. Restore did nothing

8. taran420 macrumors 6502a

Check to see anything abnormal in the accessibility setting?
    Sounds like a bad one

9. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Be sure nothing is covering the rear mic, between the flash and camera lens. Using a flip- or wallet-style case with the cover folded across the back of the phone can cause the symptoms you describe. The mic is used for noise cancellation and if it is blocked will "cancel" your voice.

10. phlydude thread starter macrumors regular

phlydude

I took it out of the Belkin case (even in the case, it is open for that rear mic) I have and it still exhibits the symptoms. I made my Genius Bar for tomorrow night. I see a replacement in my future...good thing it is Space Gray and not gold

11. phlydude thread starter macrumors regular

phlydude

Apple replaced the phone. Said they haven't seen many problems with the 5S but confirmed that there was a problem with mine. Don't know if they were bad mics, bad connections, hardware failure or what but it was replaced with a white-box phone ("refurb") but was assured that it was new just not in retail packaging.

12. bmp143 macrumors newbie

I had the same problem with my iPhone 5s 32GB. Just got a replacement and it is the same deal. I'll keep it to see if it rights itself.

13. Spacial macrumors 6502

Bear in mind, these are mass produced as fast as humanly possible in not so humane conditions.

Once in a while a defective phone will slip by. That's why they come with a warranty.

14. phlydude thread starter macrumors regular

phlydude

I didn't leave the Apple store until I made a test phone call to ensure that it actually did work

15. Dw4076 macrumors newbie

Has anyone considered turning off the noise cancellation??? I tried it and ppl can here me much better. U just go to setting, general, accessibility, then down to noise cancellation and turn it off. Hope that helps.

16. phlydude thread starter macrumors regular

phlydude

Why turn off a feature that is there for if you have a hearing aid? If it doesn't work right, then take it back

17. MiWall81 macrumors member

Be Positive!

At least you have your iPhone 5s... Mine was stolen before it even arrived to my home. I've been on the phone with Apple multiple times, filled everything out, written to UPS (since they delivered it). And the list goes on. I'm so damn frustrated. So at least you have an iPhone that you can return to the Apple store, and get a new one. I have nothing. I bought my phone at 12:03 AM because I was so exited when it came out and wanted to be the first to have it. And still, here I am... Pisses me off

18. phlydude thread starter macrumors regular

phlydude

Take your bitterness to another thread-this one is for mic issues...

19. Dw4076 macrumors newbie

Well if the feature hinders you and doesn't help then why not turn it off? That's like the feature that people have been becoming dizzy and nauseated over with the icons swaying when u turn your phone. But I've turned off the noise cancellation and ppl can hear me better.

20. Bhut Jolokia macrumors newbie

I had the exact same issue with my mic. It worked fine with the recorder feature but no one could understand me on phone calls. I made an appointment with the Genius Bar people at the Apple Store this morning and they replaced my phone with a new 5s. Yeah, it was a white box replacement, but there's no way any refurbs could have shipped this quickly!

21. boredandlonely macrumors member

Sigh

I've been having the same poor clarity issue, but mine MAGNIFIES if I am lying down on my back while on the phone. As soon as I flip the phone vertical, regardless of MY positioning, the clarity of my words improve. I guess a genius bar visit is in order.