iPhone 5S not recognising SIM card

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by LondonGooner, Oct 7, 2013.

1. LondonGooner macrumors regular

Hi guys I just got my new gold 5S
    However my SIM card which I have been happily using for a year on the 5 is not being read by the 5S.
    I just get a screen saying sim required, please insert a SIM card. I tried using the sim tray from my 5 and also cleaning/ moving around the card and tray. It just doesn't seem to work.
    Any tips ?

2. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Can you borrow a SIM from someone else quickly just to make sure it's not that it doesn't like that particular one? Have you forced it to restart by holding power and sleep to see if that helps? It's definitely not locked to a different network? Apart from that I'm out of ideas, apart from maybe a DFU restore to force the software to be reinstalled.

3. LondonGooner thread starter macrumors regular

Hi my phone is direct from apple so no locking involved

I just tried my dads SIM card which is a different network but also iPhone 5. It still doesn't read sim.

Now I did a restart pressing both buttons like you said but it still didn't make a difference

What's a DFU reset and how do I do it ?

4. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

5. LondonGooner thread starter macrumors regular

Tried that too, didnt work thanks for your help anyway dude.

As I posted in the UK thread;
    I definitely have a bricked phone, what a terrible way to end my 2 and half week wait for the phone. The gold colour also means I won't be getting a quick replacement. I wasted an overpriced screen protector I bought from apple too (£8). Depressing times, but first world problems I guess :)
    This doesn't appear to be a common problem either, most threads about it are from iPhone 5

The worst thing is I was planning to sell my 5 to help fund this phone and now I'll be short for a while and the price will drop

6. thebignewt macrumors regular

Yeah sounds bricked to me. At least your government still shows up to work lol.

7. LondonGooner thread starter macrumors regular

lol our government is barely functioning at the best of times