iPhone 5s not recognized by computer.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sangarrb, Jan 3, 2015.

1. sangarrb macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a problem with connecting iPhone 5s 32gb to iTunes. I made reset all content and settings and wanted to restore my backup via iTunes. My iPhone iOS is up to date - 8.1.2 and iTunes also running newest version - 12.0.1.26. Computer has windows 8.1 operating system, but the problem is not about the computer, because I also tried to connect it to macbook pro as well and it also did not do anything. It simply does not recognize any hardware on any computer when I connect it to usb. Cord is working with other iPhones (iPhone 6), so this is not the issue as well. I am running out of ideas, maybe someone could help me with it? Thanks.

2. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a hardware issue with the phone. Do you have an Apple store nearby you can take it to?

3. wproct macrumors 6502

wproct

I have a new 16G 5s, and I have to connect it to my laptop 5 or six times before it will recognize it. I switch back and forth between 2 usb ports and eventually it will recognize it. Don't know why, but that's just the way it's been since day one.:(

4. sangarrb thread starter macrumors newbie

We have only apple reseller nearby. I guess I will have to visit them. Maybe they can help. Problem is that I bought used phone and I warranty is expired.

5. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Totally ynderstand. As the poster said above, play around with different usb ports just to eliminate that possibility. I would take it to the reseller and determine if it is indeed a hardware issue. Dont worry about the lack of warranty unless you know what the deal is.

6. RTony macrumors member

RTony

Try throwing the phone in DFU more. Hold sleep and home buttons for 10 seconds and then release home button and keep holding sleep button until iTunes recognises there is a device connected. The phone has to be connected to a computer that has iTunes running on it.

7. sangarrb thread starter macrumors newbie

OK I tried that, but unfortunately it did not work either. I followed those instructions exactly and all it did was a restart to the phone. It went out and came back, the only difference I noticed was that I was not required to enter my sim pin number. iTunes did not find the phone, it did not do anything.

8. sangarrb thread starter macrumors newbie

After watching youtube clips about entering into DFU mode. I saw that I did something wrong previously. Anyway I tried the DFU mode and then I got black screen on my phone and nothing changed in iTunes. The way I understood that I was actually on DFU mode was that when I pressed the sleep button nothing happened. To exit the DFU mode I held down sleep and home button until apple logo came up, but still no changes with computer recognizing the iPhone. iTunes did absolutely nothing during the hole process.

9. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Does it charge while plugged in? Sounds like a "Trust" issue meaning you haven't allowed your iPhone to trust your computer. You may have to re-trust the computer with that device.

10. RTony macrumors member

RTony

You don't need to exit DFU mode. You need to get your phone in that mode and plug it in your computer, after which iTunes will show you this:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420427594.563276.jpg

Then you proceed with the steps in iTunes and you are done. There is no more to it than just that.

Or Google how to restore iPhone in recovery mode for step by step guide. That is definitely how you fix your problem.

11. sangarrb thread starter macrumors newbie

At first I thought that also, but that is not the case, phone does charge while plugged in.

12. sangarrb thread starter macrumors newbie

I followed these steps: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263 and iTunes did not react.

13. RTony macrumors member

RTony

What other variables have you tried changing?

Different cable?
    Update iTunes to the newest version?
    Restarting iTunes?
    Restarting computer?
    Trying different computer?
    Are other devices detected by iTunes?
    Is your iPhone charging when plugged in? Maybe it's the dock problem?

14. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

or clean out your lightning port... use something skinny like a toothpick

15. RTony macrumors member

RTony

And if none of that doesn't fix it, go to the Apple Store. You'll be asked to demonstrate the problem and if you can replicate it, they will probably replace the phone.

16. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

i know. i've had to clean out plenty of lightning ports because they said it "charge sometimes" or things like that.

17. sangarrb thread starter macrumors newbie

By now I have tried everything. yes different cables. my iTunes is updated, restarting several times computer and phone, tried different computers. It did charge without problems until yesterday, so now I am pretty certain that it has to be the dock. I contacted iPhone repair shop and soon I will give it to them for cleaning and repair. Anyway thank you everybody for your input troubleshooting to find out what is wrong with my phone. I will let you know how it will end. Thanks again.

18. sangarrb thread starter macrumors newbie

Miracles do happen :) Right after posting this thread I tried to charge iPhone with computer and iTunes miraculously found it, so now I can restore my iPhone. I will see how long this will work, I'll keep you posted :)

19. RTony macrumors member

RTony

Great! Glad you fixed it :)