iPhone 5's on eBay and carriers

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Pilopew, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Pilopew macrumors member

I need some help from Americans to figure something out.

So I'm trying to buy an iPhone 5 online on eBay, a secondhand one, to use here in Europe. I keep searching for "unlocked" phones, but still, if you look at the search results when you set a preference for "unlocked" phones, things like "Black iPhone 5 (AT&T)" or whatever appear. So here's what I can't figure out:

If it's unlocked, why indicate it's original carrier? Isn't it just plug and play with any SIM-card, as it's unlocked? Or am I missing something essential here?

Additionally, I read some places online that people are worried about CDMA/GSM networks. I thought the iPhone was an international phone? Heck, I bought my current iPhone 3Gs in the USA and I've been using it both there and here in Europe with no problems. Any idea why people still seem to mention this?

Thanks

2. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Different carriers have different model version of iPhone 5 which have different bands for LTE. Check this list for compatibility of the iPhone with your network in your nation.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

AT&T iPhone can only be used on other GSM networks if it is unlocked through carrier (or other server side method). Verizon iPhone 5 comes unlocked for GSM network out of the box. Sent from my iPad.

3. Pilopew thread starter macrumors member

I now think I understand that AT&T and T-Mobile phones are on the wrong LTE frequencies. Alright, so basically that means I can only buy a phone off of Verizon? Or are Sprint phones unlocked from the start as well for GSM networks?