iPhone iPhone 5S on iOS 8? Laggy & stutters or smooth?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Dreamliner330, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Dreamliner330 macrumors 6502a

When I updated my iPhone 5 from 6.1.2 to 7.1.2 I was really pissed at how clunky it got. Animations were no longer liquid smooth and there was jitters everywhere.

I have an iPhone 5S now and am on 7.1.2. I'm thinking of updating to iOS 8 to be compatible with the iPad Air 2 I'm getting (I want that text from iPad feature).

Has anyone noticed ANY performance issues on the 5S on iOS 8?

2. Paddle1 macrumors 68030

First of all, there was something wrong with your iPhone 5. My 4s had smooth animations on iOS 7, and the 5 should still be relatively smooth on iOS 8.

As long as whatever happened with your 5 doesn't happen again you should be ok with a 5s.

3. MisakixMikasa macrumors 6502a

MisakixMikasa

I do not find any performance problem with iPhones. Even iPhone 5C performs beautifuy with iOS 8

4. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

No. I have an extremely high bar for smoothness. A great example of this is a text message screen rotation from portrait to landscape. Buttery smooth on my iPhone 5S, stutters on the iPhone 5.

In fact, the iPad Air 1 runs iOS 7 like my iPhone 5 did. My iPhone 5S is much smoother than my iPad Air 1.

5. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

The only way to be sure that your phone stays as smooth as it is now, is to stay on the OS it is on now.

I find occasional UI glitches and stutters on my iPhone six.

6. Dreamliner330 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah. That's what concerns me. The smoothest & best experience I've ever had was a iPhone 5 on 6.1.2 Jailbroken. The only reason I got a 5S was to rectify the stutters of 7.1.2 on the 5. If I was okay with stutters, I'd go back to Android and pickup some lost functionality, but I'd rather have a smooth experience. ;)

7. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

Well i have a 5s and my phone is running smooth as silk on the iOS 8...

8. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I find ios 8 to be generally quite smooth on my 5s, although Safari does seem slightly laggier (it's there if you look for it). Battery life also seems to have taken a hit (seems to drain about 10-20% faster). That said, I like the new features ios 8 brings (extensions, widgets, 3rd party keyboards, quick reply and icloud drive being just the ones I am playing around with now), and I feel it's a small price to pay. :)

9. jpc0480 macrumors newbie

I have a jailbroken 5S and find it clunky since upgrading to iOS 8.1. I am considering downgrading back to 7.12... I now have this nice bug where my home button thinks I pushed it 2 or 3 times when I only pushed it once, something that did not happen on iOS 7.12.

Maybe their next release will iron out the kinks...? Either way this update is total garbage. All the new features and more can be easily implemented with a jailbreak... Should have stayed where I was...