iPhone 5s or 6 for light user

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by laurarh, Sep 13, 2015.

1. laurarh macrumors regular

Now that some of the preorder madness has died down, I need to order a new phone for my mom. She uses it mainly for talking on the phone, texting, and some light app use (Pinterest/Facebook). She does take pictures but she isn't so into it that it needs to have spectacular capabilities.

Right now we're on the Verizon Share Everything plan so she has two options:

Renew her contract for 2 years and get the iPhone 5s for free
    - In this case she would have pay tax and the upgrade fee so the total would be about $75 upfront

Go on the Device Payment Plan and get the iPhone 6 for about $22/month
    - We would get the $25/month line discount so really would save $3/month
    - No upgrade fee so the upfront cost would be $40 less

The iPhone 6 is cheaper and is the better phone so it seems like the obvious choice. But I swear I saw a thread on here warning people against the device payment plan. Now of course I can't find it anywhere. The decision is easier when deciding for myself but I don't want to advise her to go a certain way if there's a downside of the device payment that I should know about.

2. trek360 macrumors 6502

I thought Verizon was grandfathering those already on a two yr contract the option to renew the contract and get an iPhone at subsidy pricing. If you can do that I would and get the 6.

All the carriers are trying to push people to the leased plans. For some it makes sense so check the numbers. Personally I'd do two yr and get the subsidized phone pricing as long as it exists. You may have to purchase directly from your carrier.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/7...ones-samsung-galaxy-and-other-smartphones.htm

3. GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

I bought my mother the 6+. She's 80 years old. She'll never use 95% of what it can do. She is probably the ultimate light user, but I went with the 6+ because it's easier to see and easier to hit the right keys.

4. laurarh thread starter macrumors regular

She wants to pay as little as possible so the 6 really isn't in her budget on the subsidy price even though it is cheap at $99. That's why it's either the 5s on subsidy or the 6 on the payment plan.

That's what I was thinking. She isn't 80 but she does have to wear reading glasses in order to read screens so the 6 may allow her not always grab them. It will be quite the shock for her though, coming from a 4s.

5. trek360 macrumors 6502

Oh got it now.
    I think either would work fine esp coming from a 4s. 5s is still pretty readable and certainly powerful enough to do what she needs. So basically it comes down to what type of contract/plan you want to be on.[/QUOTE]